Aug 22, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Atlanta is going to be an interesting team to watch come together.
Joe Johnson has been shipped off to Brooklyn with his massive contract and isolation jump shots. Things are going to be different on offense in the ATL. As Beckley Mason notes at TrueHoop, expect a lot of Jeff Teague/Josh Smith pick and roll, expect a more up-tempo Hawks team. Also, you should expect more Devin Harris (he has always done better when asked to run the pick-and-roll).
Then there is Lou Williams. Last season he came in off the bench in Philly and often created his own shot on the way to leading the Sixers in scoring.
But he tells the Atlanta Journal Consitituon he hopes to work more off the ball for the Hawks.
“I was off the ball [in Philadelphia], I would prefer to be off the ball, and I think both of those guys [Teague and Harris] are on the ball,” Williams said. “So I don’t think it will be an issue as much as people think it is. Once we open up camp I’m sure Coach [Larry] Drew will do a good job in figuring out where everyone is going to go….
“More attacking than catch-and-shoot,” Williams said. “Actually catch-and-shoot is one of the things I’ve been able to work on this whole summer. Coming down in transition and catching the ball and shooting, instead of catching and trying to create so much off the dribble.”
Williams is a versatile scorer, his points per possession last season were about the same whether in isolation, as the pick-and-roll ball handler and as a spot up guy. He does work off the ball, but the result is the same. He’s going to take a lot of shots and score a lot of points.
If Drew can find a way to make him a little more efficent working with Teague and Harris at the point, the Hawks could have something. We’ll have to see how it all comes together.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 16
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 20
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48