Aug 22, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Atlanta is going to be an interesting team to watch come together.
Joe Johnson has been shipped off to Brooklyn with his massive contract and isolation jump shots. Things are going to be different on offense in the ATL. As Beckley Mason notes at TrueHoop, expect a lot of Jeff Teague/Josh Smith pick and roll, expect a more up-tempo Hawks team. Also, you should expect more Devin Harris (he has always done better when asked to run the pick-and-roll).
Then there is Lou Williams. Last season he came in off the bench in Philly and often created his own shot on the way to leading the Sixers in scoring.
But he tells the Atlanta Journal Consitituon he hopes to work more off the ball for the Hawks.
“I was off the ball [in Philadelphia], I would prefer to be off the ball, and I think both of those guys [Teague and Harris] are on the ball,” Williams said. “So I don’t think it will be an issue as much as people think it is. Once we open up camp I’m sure Coach [Larry] Drew will do a good job in figuring out where everyone is going to go….
“More attacking than catch-and-shoot,” Williams said. “Actually catch-and-shoot is one of the things I’ve been able to work on this whole summer. Coming down in transition and catching the ball and shooting, instead of catching and trying to create so much off the dribble.”
Williams is a versatile scorer, his points per possession last season were about the same whether in isolation, as the pick-and-roll ball handler and as a spot up guy. He does work off the ball, but the result is the same. He’s going to take a lot of shots and score a lot of points.
If Drew can find a way to make him a little more efficent working with Teague and Harris at the point, the Hawks could have something. We’ll have to see how it all comes together.
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 9
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 46
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16