Aug 22, 2012, 10:55 PM EST
Just like you and I, the people around the NBA care who is president. And while you can’t draw hard and fast lines, a quick look at who donated to whom shows players pretty much lean Democratic and front office/ownership leans Republican.
Democrat Barack Obama used some of that player star power for a series of fundraisers on Wednesday. Michael Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, Patrick Ewing and others including David Stern were on hand for the events.
“It is very rare that I come to an event where I’m like the fifth or sixth most interesting person,” Obama joked at the Lincoln Center dinner.
The skills camp ($5,000 a head), autograph session then dinner Wednesday night reportedly raised about $3 million for Obama’s re-election campaign.
Then came the perks of being president — he changed out of his suit and along with actors George Clooney and Toby McGuire played some pickup hoops with the NBAers.
Of course, in today’s political discourse there must be a counter attack on everything. Because God forbid we just have a civil debate of the issues (both sides have attack dogs that do this, everyone is at fault). If you want to see the Republican attack from the Weekly Standard you can — they remind us that Jordan is a failed baseball player and try to link ‘Melo to a drug dealer. It all comes off as petty, selfish and childish to me, but then most of our political discourse does.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 17
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 34
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19