Aug 22, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
Andray Blatche — the talented but mercurial big man recently amnestied by the Washington Wizards — is one of those NBA players standing on the sidelines right now waiting for someone to point at him and say “get in the game.”
There have been nibbles on the line — how serious depends upon who you ask — but no big fish yet. Certainly not for much more than the veteran minimum.
My dream destination right now would be back on the court. For real. Just to get back on the court,” he said. “It’s something I love to do. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Heat or the Spurs or the D League. Whatever. As long as I’m back on the court playing ball.”
You really think Blatche would stick in the D-League? Bus rides and shared two-star hotel rooms?
Some team is going to give Blatche a shot. There’s a lot of talent there, someone will roll the dice that either he has matured or their locker room culture can keep him in check.
But if he wasn’t serious about his words, if this time he hasn’t matured both on and off the court, it may be his last shot. Unless he really does want to play in the D-League.
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 32
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 19
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14