Aug 22, 2012, 6:34 PM EST
Andray Blatche — the talented but mercurial big man recently amnestied by the Washington Wizards — is one of those NBA players standing on the sidelines right now waiting for someone to point at him and say “get in the game.”
There have been nibbles on the line — how serious depends upon who you ask — but no big fish yet. Certainly not for much more than the veteran minimum.
My dream destination right now would be back on the court. For real. Just to get back on the court,” he said. “It’s something I love to do. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Heat or the Spurs or the D League. Whatever. As long as I’m back on the court playing ball.”
You really think Blatche would stick in the D-League? Bus rides and shared two-star hotel rooms?
Some team is going to give Blatche a shot. There’s a lot of talent there, someone will roll the dice that either he has matured or their locker room culture can keep him in check.
But if he wasn’t serious about his words, if this time he hasn’t matured both on and off the court, it may be his last shot. Unless he really does want to play in the D-League.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 1
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)