Tuesday And-1 links: If you think LeBron’s shoes cost too much don’t pay it

Aug 21, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT

120821-biz-lebron-x-kb-1245p.photoblog600 Getty Images

Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Young The Giant loves Cough Syrup.

• Lots of buzz today about Nike releasing LeBron X Nike+ this fall — the shoes he broke out as new during the USA’s gold medal game against Spain. The reason for the buzz is the reported price tag of $315. Two key points here. First, that is for the Nike+ version (which tracks how far you run, how high you jump, etc, with a chip in the shoe that ties to your iPhone), but if you just want the shoe it reportedly going to be $180. Which is not out of line with the basketball shoe market. (I love Nike+ for runners, for hoop it’s your call.)

Second — if you don’t like the price, don’t buy it. Pricing of shoes, like corn and televisions, is dynamic based on supply and demand. Don’t buy the shoes, spend your money on a less expensive pair from another brand. The market will correct if you are in the majority. Nike (and adidas and everyone else) will charge what they can get. If this offends you, well, capitalism isn’t for you. Sorry.

• While we’re on the sneaker beat, Blake Griffin and Russell Westbrook are among the big shoe deal free agents after this season.

• If this matters to you, see who NBA players, front office and owners donated to this election season. (If you guessed the owners lean Republican, you get a gold star.)

• Does anybody in the United States like FIBA’s 3-on-3 Olympic basketball idea?

Great writing in the New York Times about the rise and fall — mostly fall — of Jonathan Hargett.

Here’s a rumor the Thunder would love to steal Jimmer Fredette. Take with a lot of salt. A lot.

• Boston hired Jay Larranaga to join Doc Rivers’ team of assistant coaches.

• Dallas has signed Jim O’Brien to be Rick Carlisle’s lead assistant coach.

• The Timberwolves would consider bringing back Anthony Tolliver.

John Wall schools a high schooler who challenges him. But as Kelly Dwyer points out at Ball Don’t Lie, the best part is at the very end when one of the high schoolers says his buddy “read the scouting report” and let Wall have jumpers. True. Wall will get more of that starting in November.

• Remember how there was talk of MSG’s stock price after Jeremy Lin left for the Rockets. MSG closed at a record high yesterday. Lin doesn’t impact that much.

• Houston Rockets executive vice president of basketball operations Sam Hinkie is in the mix for the 76ers GM search, which continues at a casual pace.

• Jerryd Bayless officially signed two-year deal worth approximately $6 million with the Grizzlies.

• Former Sixer Craig Brackins has signed with Angelico Biella in Italy.

• Did you ever see the video of the Tunisia coach slapping a player during the Olympics?

1. miketolbert - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I thought this was a basketball blog…when did we ask for the right-leaning political commentary? I prefer my sports and politics separate thank you.

2. jmclarkent - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM

The FIBA rule only works if the rims are 8 feet tall AND they hire the announcers from NBA JAM.

3. nobandwagonridersallowed - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Lmao! If I’m going to pay $300 for some shoes, you better believe they are going to be something I can wear with a nice custom suit!

• money2long - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM

..or fly you to work.

4. bossaliniee - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Nice! Gota have them,315s nothing.

• itsthemelman82 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

^^^^To quote Jay-z “we don’t believe you, you more people”

5. eugenesaxe - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I look forward to the first time someone gets shot or their new 300 dollar shoes.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

…Do you look forward to when people get shot for their cell phones, wallets, car keys, and other personal belongings?

People get mugged for more than shoes.

• eugenesaxe - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:02 AM

The items you mention are more or less normal, necessary items. These shoes aren’t. They are status symbols for people who feel attention-starved.
        P.S: I don’t really look forward to said shooting; that was called “sarcasm”. But it will happen, and people will be all pissed off about it. And we know which demographic normally invests 300 bucks into tennis shoes, despite the so-called “targeted consumer” of this particular style.

6. gmsalpha - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Man, I would LOVE to see Blake Griffin lace up some Under Armour, as is his “best fit”. UA has snagged some great NFL guys like Brady, Cam, and Julio Jones, but they need a star on the hard court. Also interesting that so many rookies are signing with the alternative of who they wore in college. Rivers with adidas, and Robinson with Nike for instance.

7. nokoolaidcowboy - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Vote with your feet.

8. klownboy - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Nike and LeBron should be ashamed of themselves

• nobandwagonridersallowed - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Don’t blame, Lebron… Nike sets the prices because they’ve already paid him. What they are doing is cashing in off of his recent major accomplishments that haven’t been done since the likes of Michael Jordan. I can’t see a time where I would ever blame an athlete for their endorsement deals and I’m not about to start now. Simple economics works as such; Companies SUPPLY a need, want, service or necessity & Consumers DEMAND it. I don’t see a problem with someone purchasing a pair of $315 sneakers, if they have the money to spare. Hey, do you! I just know that I can think of better things personally to spend that kind of money on. I’m in my 30′s, so sneakers don’t really do it for me anymore.

Sadly someone probably will get hurt physically for wearing these shoes, because someone less fortunate will seek the easy way out and attempt to rob them, unfortunately. I hope it doesn’t happen, however, that’s just wishful thinking on my behave

9. suhnum1fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM

$300 for something that cost $5 to make. F_ck LeBron, Nike and his shoes (whatever name they’re called)

10. manchestermiracle - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Howzabout that hack Griffin actually wins something before manufacturers piss themselves giving him endorsement deals? Why would I consider buying something being pushed by that blowhard?

Wizards playing spoiler in East