Aug 21, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Young The Giant loves Cough Syrup.
• Lots of buzz today about Nike releasing LeBron X Nike+ this fall — the shoes he broke out as new during the USA’s gold medal game against Spain. The reason for the buzz is the reported price tag of $315. Two key points here. First, that is for the Nike+ version (which tracks how far you run, how high you jump, etc, with a chip in the shoe that ties to your iPhone), but if you just want the shoe it reportedly going to be $180. Which is not out of line with the basketball shoe market. (I love Nike+ for runners, for hoop it’s your call.)
Second — if you don’t like the price, don’t buy it. Pricing of shoes, like corn and televisions, is dynamic based on supply and demand. Don’t buy the shoes, spend your money on a less expensive pair from another brand. The market will correct if you are in the majority. Nike (and adidas and everyone else) will charge what they can get. If this offends you, well, capitalism isn’t for you. Sorry.
• If this matters to you, see who NBA players, front office and owners donated to this election season. (If you guessed the owners lean Republican, you get a gold star.)
• Does anybody in the United States like FIBA’s 3-on-3 Olympic basketball idea?
• Great writing in the New York Times about the rise and fall — mostly fall — of Jonathan Hargett.
• Boston hired Jay Larranaga to join Doc Rivers’ team of assistant coaches.
• Dallas has signed Jim O’Brien to be Rick Carlisle’s lead assistant coach.
• John Wall schools a high schooler who challenges him. But as Kelly Dwyer points out at Ball Don’t Lie, the best part is at the very end when one of the high schoolers says his buddy “read the scouting report” and let Wall have jumpers. True. Wall will get more of that starting in November.
• Houston Rockets executive vice president of basketball operations Sam Hinkie is in the mix for the 76ers GM search, which continues at a casual pace.
• Former Sixer Craig Brackins has signed with Angelico Biella in Italy.
• Did you ever see the video of the Tunisia coach slapping a player during the Olympics?
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3