Aug 21, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Under Mike Woodson last season (both as a head coach and “defensive coordinator” assistant) the Knicks were a good defensive team — fifth in the NBA at 98.4 points allowed per 100 possessions. That is why they made the playoffs with an offense that can sputter and has two stars that haven’t figured out how to meld their games yet.
This season, Amare Stoudemire wants in on the action.
In addition to post touches on offense, he wants to be part of the defensive identity of the Knicks, he told the New York Post.
“Defense is the key to win championships, that’s something I’m dedicated on also, to become a much, much better defensive player,” he said. “It’s going to happen. It’s a matter of preparation and practice and getting that chemistry down on that end of the court.”
Fine words. Heard them before. This time I look forward to seeing them in action. Not sure I will, but I look forward to it.
However, with Tyson Chandler as a backstop, the Knicks are going to be a good defensive team this season, regardless. Woodson will have them playing smart on the perimeter, funneling the other team to the help, the Knicks have the athletes to be disruptive. Their strong defense will continue.
How good the Knicks finish depends on how well Carmelo Anthony and Stoudemire can find an offensive groove together, and how Raymond Felton at the point can help facilitate that. With all the injuries and coaching changes last season, the Knicks can try to write off the offensive woes as fixable.
But this season they have a full camp and both guys there, this is when we see if the Knicks experiment really works, and how well. I’ve got a feeling we all know the answer, but this time of year is the season of hope in the NBA so we will give the Knicks their chance to prove me wrong.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32