Aug 21, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
So, what about Jason Terry?
The Jet, the second leading scorer and energy off the bench for the Mavericks title team was speaking with the Star-Telegram in Dallas — probably not about his new ink — and said he wants the ultimate remembrance in Dallas.
“The bow was winning the championship, but the icing on the cake will be putting that jersey up in the rafters,’’ Terry told the Star-Telegram on Monday. “If it happens, I’ll be grateful.’’
Before you shake your head, realize Dallas has two retired numbers — Brad Davis (15) and Rolando Blackman (22). Terry fits in with that group.
Plus, the Mavericks would not have won their NBA title without Terry. Obviously, that was Dirk Nowitzki’s team. And they had the defensive anchor of Tyson Chandler and the steady leadership of Kidd and some great moments from Shawn Marion and J.J. Barea.
But Terry was key to the run, key to the Mavericks for years. It’s not out of the question. And unless he develops a process to revive Red Auerbach it’s not happening in Boston.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury