Aug 21, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
It’s a John Woodenism that probably goes back to well before he owned coaching — it’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it.
Or, in today’s modern parlance, it’s about who gets the minutes.
Derrick Favors wants more minutes. The Utah Jazz have the kind of problem most coaches want — do I give more minutes to the up–and-coming Favors, or do I give those minutes to Paul Millsap, who probably should have made the All-Star Team last year with his play?
Still it’s a problem. Favors told the Deseret News all that really matters to him is getting some run.
“I want to play more than what I played last year,” Favors admitted. “If it’s starting, cool. If it’s coming off the bench, cool. I don’t mind. I just want to play more. I don’t want to sit on the bench no more.”
Favors averaged 21 minutes a game last season but in the playoffs against San Antonio that jumped to 29 minutes, where he averaged 11.8 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. In his first playoffs, you saw the potential.
He’s the future, and you should give your best players more minutes — Tyron Corbin has to play Favors. He might try playing Favors and Millsap together for stretches, with Millsap at the three, to see how that works. Or he can put Favors at the five and reduce the minutes for Al Jefferson. Corbin can afford to be creative.
But in the end, this may be a front office problem not a coach problem.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11