Aug 21, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a John Woodenism that probably goes back to well before he owned coaching — it’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it.
Or, in today’s modern parlance, it’s about who gets the minutes.
Derrick Favors wants more minutes. The Utah Jazz have the kind of problem most coaches want — do I give more minutes to the up–and-coming Favors, or do I give those minutes to Paul Millsap, who probably should have made the All-Star Team last year with his play?
Still it’s a problem. Favors told the Deseret News all that really matters to him is getting some run.
“I want to play more than what I played last year,” Favors admitted. “If it’s starting, cool. If it’s coming off the bench, cool. I don’t mind. I just want to play more. I don’t want to sit on the bench no more.”
Favors averaged 21 minutes a game last season but in the playoffs against San Antonio that jumped to 29 minutes, where he averaged 11.8 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. In his first playoffs, you saw the potential.
He’s the future, and you should give your best players more minutes — Tyron Corbin has to play Favors. He might try playing Favors and Millsap together for stretches, with Millsap at the three, to see how that works. Or he can put Favors at the five and reduce the minutes for Al Jefferson. Corbin can afford to be creative.
But in the end, this may be a front office problem not a coach problem.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3