Aug 20, 2012, 4:03 PM EST
Philadelphia has gone another direction — Andre Iguodala is out, Andrew Bynum is in as the new face of the franchise. The young, anchor center who has Philly talking about something other than the Eagles. Well, for five minutes.
But things could change a lot more in the next couple years as the Sixers are loaded with short term deals — including Bynum’s — points out Nick Menta at CSNPhilly.com.
In fact, there will be a grand total of nine Sixers whose contracts will expire within the next two years.
Five of those contracts — Bynum, Jrue Holiday, Nick Young, Dorell Wright and Royal Ivey — are up at the end of next season. Four more — Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, Kwame Brown and Lavoy Allen — expire at the end of the 2013-14 season. For reference, Brown’s is technically for one season with a player option for a second, though his agent has called it a two-year deal.
Brown is picking up that option. And smart money says Bynum will re-sign after the season.
Philly isn’t likely to make radical changes, they will extend (or at least give a qualifying offer to) Holiday, they likely extend Turner, they have Thaddeus Young still for a few years.
But as the Sixers see what they are missing with this new look and lineup, once they see what needs to be changed and added to really make this work and improve, they should have the flexibility to do it. Not next season, Bynum’s extension will soak up most of the space they have, but in the years after that.
It’s a pretty good time to be hopefully in Philly. Right now, Bynum is handling everything beautifully. We’ll see if it is all the same when the Eagles season is over.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1