Quote of the day: LeBron James says biggest change was him

Aug 20, 2012, 1:27 PM EST

LeBron James participates in the U.S. Olympic basketball team practice in Las Vegas Reuters

“It’s been a… huge turnaround. I think the biggest turnaround for me, personally, who I was and who I became in this last year, it’s a big turnaround. That’s what helped me get to those accomplishments. And I just didn’t take anything for granted.”

LeBron James, talking to ESPN about his incredible year that featured an NBA MVP, an NBA title, an NBA finals MVP and a gold medal (a feat only Michael Jordan has ever done before). Transcribed by Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel.

Not to go all Michael Jackson “Man in the Mirror” but LeBron has said this before, and those around him have said it as well — he needed to mature, accept the fallout of “the decision” for what it was, become comfortable with himself and then he could move on. He seems to have done that, based both on results and another quote in the ESPN interview.

But, for me, I went through a rough patch, and then I was able to figure it out and continue to be myself and I accomplished a lot of my goals, so I’m in a great place.”

1. redbullenergydrink - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Not everyone may like you, Lebron, but your talent is undeniable! Can’t wait for the season to begin!

2. miamatt - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That pretty much nails it. This past year LBJ became the guy who would play any role it took to win, the clear cut leader of his team, and the man who had the answer every time the Heat found their backs up against the wall.

And I don’t get the sense that he is taking anything else for granted from here on out.

3. thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Isn’t that where it starts? With the individual in the mirror? I don’t want to sound preachy, but if we all took a hard look in the mirror and grew as adult human beings that would solve at least half of the world’s problems.

4. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I blame myself for this. I was at a game when the heat came to Houston and the crowd was booing Lebron. From the cheap seats I yelled “It’s okay Lebron!” and then boom. Championship.

5. lakerluver - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Great, historical season from one of the best ever………However, unless LBJ teams up with D12 in L.A.–when his Heat deal is up–that little prediction of “not 7″ ain’t happenin!! Makes perfect sense…..Kobe, Nash, Pau exit……enter LBJ in the PURPLE & GOLD!!!

6. therealgts - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I would expect nothing less out of lakrlovr. Just a typical douche comment

7. canehouse - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

lakrluvr… lakes still need to get past OKC
    … not gonna be easy.

8. lakerluver - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

@therealgts, thank you, my friend, wouldn’t want to disappoint! As for OKC, we shall see. But I like the LAKERS chances against anybody. Can’t wait for the NBA season to begin!!

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches