Aug 20, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
If nothing else this season, I’m going to enjoy watching the Knicks and Nets go back and forth at each other like four-year-old girls fighting over a Barbie doll. The battles will be both on the court — the Knicks are the Nets first home game in the Barclays Center — and in the media. And it should last — they both should be playoff teams in the East (man I am hoping for a first-round matchup).
There will be petty sniping back and forth at each other because the Nets are trying to establish themselves in Brooklyn and the New York market.
There’s a long, detailed piece in New York Magazine about the Nets move, mostly a reminder that the Barclays center is part of a real estate deal and the Nets were just a cog in that to make sure it happened. But the petty sniping between owners — the Nets Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov and the Knicks James Dolan — found its way in.
(Prokhorov told me back in December that he plans on attending a quarter of the regular-season games and “all the playoff ones.” He also made sure that I heard him call Dolan “that little man.”)
“The little man.” Petty. But I find it amusing nonetheless, and wait for the Knicks to fire back. The Knicks can afford to take the high road — they are the established team in the market, they have the built up generations of loyal fans, they are the icons — but still there is tension between the teams you can feel.
This will be fun to sit back and watch.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8