Popeye Jones’ kid expected to be top-3 pick in NHL draft

Aug 20, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT

Popeye-Jones

Back in September 2000, a couple weeks before training camp opened, Popeye Jones was traded to the Washington Wizards. His fifth team in five years. That’s the business, but it’s tough on guys with a family.

So Jones told his wife to setting in Colorado (he had played in Denver before) and he would go on to Washington.

At that time his son Seth was 5, the age when you start playing little league and soccer and all the youth organized sports. And in Colorado at the time, when the Avalanche had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, hockey was the sport all the kids wanted to play. Including Seth.

Now Seth, 17, is projected as a top 3 pick in next year’s NHL draft.

Over at CSNWashington.com they have the story of how it all came together starting back in 2000 when Popeye asked for some advice.

“I ran into Joe Sakic down at the arena and I just asked him about the game,” Popeye said.

“He didn’t know who I was and I just kind of asked him for advice with my kids wanting to play hockey and he just looked at me and said ‘from the looks of things your kids are going to be huge. You just need to make sure that they can skate.’”

Popeye got Seth skating lessons and the kid kept climbing the youth ranks — dad was 6’8” 250 so you knew his son would have size (Seth is 6’4”, 205 at age 17). Sometimes big guys struggle to skate well, but Seth kept up, started to really shine and with that size got moved to defense.

“I just kept telling him that defense wins championships,” Popeye said. “Maybe that was the professional in me, but I told him that if you can stop the other teams from scoring then you’re going to win games. After that, he really took to the position.”

Popeye moved the family to Dallas in 2007 when he became a Mavericks assistant coach, but his son played for elite travel teams there. A couple years later he moved to Ann Arbor to be part of the U.S. National Development Team, this past spring he captained USA Hockey’s under-18 team to a gold medal at the World U18 Championships.

Now he could be a top pick in next spring’s NHL draft.

“I know that he’s at a young age, but he’s also really mature,” Popeye said. “I think one of the main lessons that I’ve taught him is to keep your head down, keep working hard, don’t get caught up in all the press clippings and all of that and I think he’s done a terrific job of doing that. He’s humble and very hard working.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Clippers, other teams have made Summer League offers to Royce White

May 22, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Royce White AP

Summer League is a perfect place for giving White another look.

2. Report: Lakers have ‘big-time’ interest in signing DeMarre Carroll, Celtics and Pistons also in pursuit

May 22, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Would they pay him the $15 million per season one NBA executive estimated the Hawks forward could get in free agency?

3. Kyrie Irving misses shootaround, questionable for Game 2

May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks - Game One Getty Images

Is his injury more serious than previously thought?

4. Kyrie Irving: ‘I just don’t have it right now’

May 22, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu5mtvkywy4odfmzjk4yjfkyjm1m2rhymzizmyzy2m3 AP

Cavaliers will keep leaning on injured point guard – at least to some degree – anyway

5. Jerry West took Harrison Barnes under his wing, mentored him like he did Kobe

May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Two Getty Images

Barnes all but begged for the chance for a couple years.

6. Stephen Curry, James Harden duel to final buzzer. Again. (VIDEO)

May 22, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

James Harden, Stephen Curry James Harden, Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry and James Harden have been putting on a show for a couple games now.

7. Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy to appear in CNBC documentary

May 21, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Image (1) donaghy-thumb-250x140-11779.jpg for post 2008

Donaghy was sent to prison for betting on NBA games while he was employed as a league official.

Small ball lineup propelled Warriors to Game 1 win