Popeye Jones’ kid expected to be top-3 pick in NHL draft

Aug 20, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT

Popeye-Jones

Back in September 2000, a couple weeks before training camp opened, Popeye Jones was traded to the Washington Wizards. His fifth team in five years. That’s the business, but it’s tough on guys with a family.

So Jones told his wife to setting in Colorado (he had played in Denver before) and he would go on to Washington.

At that time his son Seth was 5, the age when you start playing little league and soccer and all the youth organized sports. And in Colorado at the time, when the Avalanche had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, hockey was the sport all the kids wanted to play. Including Seth.

Now Seth, 17, is projected as a top 3 pick in next year’s NHL draft.

Over at CSNWashington.com they have the story of how it all came together starting back in 2000 when Popeye asked for some advice.

“I ran into Joe Sakic down at the arena and I just asked him about the game,” Popeye said.

“He didn’t know who I was and I just kind of asked him for advice with my kids wanting to play hockey and he just looked at me and said ‘from the looks of things your kids are going to be huge. You just need to make sure that they can skate.’”

Popeye got Seth skating lessons and the kid kept climbing the youth ranks — dad was 6’8” 250 so you knew his son would have size (Seth is 6’4”, 205 at age 17). Sometimes big guys struggle to skate well, but Seth kept up, started to really shine and with that size got moved to defense.

“I just kept telling him that defense wins championships,” Popeye said. “Maybe that was the professional in me, but I told him that if you can stop the other teams from scoring then you’re going to win games. After that, he really took to the position.”

Popeye moved the family to Dallas in 2007 when he became a Mavericks assistant coach, but his son played for elite travel teams there. A couple years later he moved to Ann Arbor to be part of the U.S. National Development Team, this past spring he captained USA Hockey’s under-18 team to a gold medal at the World U18 Championships.

Now he could be a top pick in next spring’s NHL draft.

“I know that he’s at a young age, but he’s also really mature,” Popeye said. “I think one of the main lessons that I’ve taught him is to keep your head down, keep working hard, don’t get caught up in all the press clippings and all of that and I think he’s done a terrific job of doing that. He’s humble and very hard working.”

Latest Posts
  1. Manny Pacquiao works out at Warriors facility

Sep 2, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Pacquio

I think the Warriors are pretty set at the guard spot, but he would had some toughness.

2. Anthony Davis was throwing it down on New Zealand (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Anthony Davis, Casey Frank AP

When big men run the floor hard, good things happen.

3. USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried

Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.

4. Stephen Curry will not stand for ‘slander’ of his Under Armour shoes

Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.

5. Derrick Rose ‘fine’ with coming off the bench for Team USA

Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.

6. Pau Gasol shreds Brazil at FIBA World Cup (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

pau gasol spain olympics Getty Images

This should make Bulls fans extremely happy.

7. Anderson Varejao, entering contract year, says he wants to remain with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao AP

Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.

8. Timofey Mozgov not pushing to leave Nuggets in trade to Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao

Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)

9. Jodie Meeks wants to bring some Kobe Bryant work ethic to Detroit

Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.

10. Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen

11. FIBA World Cup Day 3 roundup: Pau Gasol drops 26 on Brazil as Spain looks dominant

Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao, Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.

12. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

13. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches