Aug 20, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• With all the hits Dwight Howard took on the public relations side lately, we tend to forget the guy is a damn good offensive player — 20.6 points per game on 57 percent shooting last season, and that was down from the year before — and here is a fantastic breakdown of he does well and why it should fit in with what the Lakers want to do.
• Another great post looking at the Lakers and how they might work in some Princeton offense sets — it will be a hybrid — by our man Rob Mahoney.
• RIP to Simon Gourdine, the former NBA and Players Union executive.
• A look back at the career of Sixers great and coach Billy Cunningham.
• There are reports Yi Jianlian wants a two-year contract totalling $5 million from Real Madrid. Which is a lot considering the time he could miss with the knee injury suffered in the Olympics.
• Roy Hibbert is hosting his Area 55 tryouts — his special group of fans in the Indiana arena. If the Pacers are going to be the third seed in the East and threaten the big boys Hibbert is going to have to win about 15,000 people a night over into his section with his play.
• Former NBA player Anthony Parker has joined the Magic as a scout.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18