Aug 20, 2012, 6:29 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• With all the hits Dwight Howard took on the public relations side lately, we tend to forget the guy is a damn good offensive player — 20.6 points per game on 57 percent shooting last season, and that was down from the year before — and here is a fantastic breakdown of he does well and why it should fit in with what the Lakers want to do.
• Another great post looking at the Lakers and how they might work in some Princeton offense sets — it will be a hybrid — by our man Rob Mahoney.
• RIP to Simon Gourdine, the former NBA and Players Union executive.
• A look back at the career of Sixers great and coach Billy Cunningham.
• There are reports Yi Jianlian wants a two-year contract totalling $5 million from Real Madrid. Which is a lot considering the time he could miss with the knee injury suffered in the Olympics.
• Roy Hibbert is hosting his Area 55 tryouts — his special group of fans in the Indiana arena. If the Pacers are going to be the third seed in the East and threaten the big boys Hibbert is going to have to win about 15,000 people a night over into his section with his play.
• Former NBA player Anthony Parker has joined the Magic as a scout.
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 4
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 5
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 12
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 18
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 12
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30