Aug 20, 2012, 7:59 AM EST
Right after capturing gold in London, LeBron James suggested this could be it for him and the Olympics. He didn’t know if he would keep going.
But after thinking about it for a week, he sounds like he’s in.
LeBron was back in Akron doing charity events last weekend and spoke with the Associated Press:
James told the Associated Press he would like to play in a fourth Olympics. He has not yet informed USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo of his intentions, but the 27-year-old said he’d like to step inside the five rings one more time.
“We haven’t had that conversation,” James said. “But if I’m healthy, I did the math and I’ll be 31, and if I have the opportunity to be out there, I will do it. I love it. I love being a part of it and representing my country. I don’t know what may happen in four years, but it would be great to be back out there again. Definitely.”
Predicting what the world will be like for any of us in four years is impossible, despite what the presidential candidates tell us. A lot of things can change for James. Kevin Durant may be your biggest star then. You would think guys like Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose — who missed out on the Olympics this time around due to injuries — will want back in, but again it’s hard to say. Will Anthony Davis be ready for a bigger role by 2016? What about Kyrie Irving, DeMarcus Cousins and other guys on the bubble this time around?
But if LeBron wants to play in four years, he’ll have a spot on the team. That’s a guarantee.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6