Aug 20, 2012, 7:59 AM EST
Right after capturing gold in London, LeBron James suggested this could be it for him and the Olympics. He didn’t know if he would keep going.
But after thinking about it for a week, he sounds like he’s in.
LeBron was back in Akron doing charity events last weekend and spoke with the Associated Press:
James told the Associated Press he would like to play in a fourth Olympics. He has not yet informed USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo of his intentions, but the 27-year-old said he’d like to step inside the five rings one more time.
“We haven’t had that conversation,” James said. “But if I’m healthy, I did the math and I’ll be 31, and if I have the opportunity to be out there, I will do it. I love it. I love being a part of it and representing my country. I don’t know what may happen in four years, but it would be great to be back out there again. Definitely.”
Predicting what the world will be like for any of us in four years is impossible, despite what the presidential candidates tell us. A lot of things can change for James. Kevin Durant may be your biggest star then. You would think guys like Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose — who missed out on the Olympics this time around due to injuries — will want back in, but again it’s hard to say. Will Anthony Davis be ready for a bigger role by 2016? What about Kyrie Irving, DeMarcus Cousins and other guys on the bubble this time around?
But if LeBron wants to play in four years, he’ll have a spot on the team. That’s a guarantee.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)