LeBron James says he wants to play in 2016 Rio Olympics

Aug 20, 2012, 7:59 AM EST

London Olympics Basketball Men AP

Right after capturing gold in London, LeBron James suggested this could be it for him and the Olympics. He didn’t know if he would keep going.

But after thinking about it for a week, he sounds like he’s in.

LeBron was back in Akron doing charity events last weekend and spoke with the Associated Press:

James told the Associated Press he would like to play in a fourth Olympics. He has not yet informed USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo of his intentions, but the 27-year-old said he’d like to step inside the five rings one more time.

“We haven’t had that conversation,” James said. “But if I’m healthy, I did the math and I’ll be 31, and if I have the opportunity to be out there, I will do it. I love it. I love being a part of it and representing my country. I don’t know what may happen in four years, but it would be great to be back out there again. Definitely.”

Predicting what the world will be like for any of us in four years is impossible, despite what the presidential candidates tell us. A lot of things can change for James. Kevin Durant may be your biggest star then. You would think guys like Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose — who missed out on the Olympics this time around due to injuries — will want back in, but again it’s hard to say. Will Anthony Davis be ready for a bigger role by 2016? What about Kyrie Irving, DeMarcus Cousins and other guys on the bubble this time around?

But if LeBron wants to play in four years, he’ll have a spot on the team. That’s a guarantee.

1. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

The descion 2016 already in speculation.. Where will the chosen one take his talents? Not 5 not 4 not 3 but 2 bronze medals

2. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Lol lebron did the math 4 years from now he will be 31. Glad to know that high school education payed off

• florida727 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Sorry, but I have to admit, this is the first thing I thought of also when I read the quote. It’s like, wow, really? You figured out that in 4 years you’ll be 31 since you’re 27 now. Hey, congrats, man! Cracks me up sometimes how uneducated some athletes sound when a microphone is stuck in their face. No cheap shot at LeBron here. It’s the nature of the “sound bite” world that we live in. Sometimes the high-profile guys get ripped the most for goofy quotes like that… unfortunately.

• findthetruth90 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

do both of you douchebags really not understand the sarcasm? A 5 year old could do that math so lets not go throwing the education on board this conversation because through all the business LeBron has PROBABLY been through he is more educated than both of you. No cheap shots just keeping it real losers.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Lol *LeBron did the math, *and 4 years from now he will be 31. Glad to know that high school education *paid off.*

*=typo corrected

3. skinsfanwill - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Just don’t take your talents to South….. Africa!!!

4. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

In 2016 we’ll have hoverboards. Lebron will be old news by then.

• miamatt - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

According to my 2015 sports almanac, LBJ will be coming in off his fifth consecutive NBA championship LOL… shhhh don’t tell Biff

5. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Lebron I have also done the math this time next Monday i will be a week older and one paycheck richer.. And I figured that out without taking my talents to college.. Aw high school the best 4 1/2 years of my life

6. fishfiletkray - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Hey gatordontplay your education has taught you how to be a miserable hater. With lebrons talents I don’t think anyone would go to college. With all that lebrons has accomplished this year it baffles me how people continue to bash him and criticize him. Look in the mirror dude! You Suck!

7. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Yes because lebron and team USA beating Spain by 7 points with 11 nba all stars compared to Spain with 5,6 nba players to was legendary. Winning 1 nba title after claiming they would win not 4 not 5 not 6 titles.. Call me hater if you want aleast I’m not the one on my knees with a mouth full

• thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Well beating Spain is an accomplishment when the NBA players are playing by international rules, with international refs, playing international teams that have been together since they were teenagers. Did you see the 22 foul calls in one quarter? Yes, he has won only one title so far, but in order to get to 5 you have to start with one jerkoff. Also, if you acually watched the video he was saying that they “came together to win not 1, not 2, not 3….” etc. Why would these three guys team up just to win one or two? Isn’t the goal to win every year? You are sitting up here acting like these overcompensated athletes are supposed to be humble and be role models. You are sadly mistaken. Most of those guys are jerks. Some just keep it behind the scenes for money reasons. The only thing I am mad at LeBron (or Kobe or Dwight) about is they feel the need to apologize for their LEGAL actions. People do illegal things every day (drink and drive, speeding, stealing, driving erratically) and don’t apologize in the name of “freedom”. Well let me break it to you, just like you have the right to troll at 9:00 in the morning, LeBron has the right to make ridiculous predictions and allow nike to charge $100+ dollars for a pair of shoes on his behalf. Get over it. Just like those people who took video of themselves buring Dwight Howard jerseys, you are clearly wasting your time and energy. It’s not his fault you thought so highly of him to become so angry after he does something to piss you off, it’s a YOU problem.

• findthetruth90 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

why bring up the whole not 4 not 5 not 6 when he has only been there 2 years. your so lame

8. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Are people so sensitive we can’t make lighthearted Lebron jokes without being deemed haters? Lebron said he “did the math” to add 4 years to his current age. That’s pretty funny. Oh what’s 27 plus 4? Hold on, let me do some math. Lighten up guys, I don’t think anyone here actually hates Lebron, he’s just an easy target to poke some fun at. I honestly don’t see the point in defending him with such passion, I’m like 80% sure he wouldn’t do the same.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Look, we live in the Internet era and most of America can’t tell you where Canada is or know who our first or last 5 Presidents were…follow my point as far as math goes?

Making Lebron jokes out of the same, used up material is getting old and the man is giving less material every day forward aside from his hairline

As for Rio in 4 years? There are more pressing issues coming with winning next year and beating the Thunder in the finals again

9. unodosochocinco - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I think the bigger problem is that gatordontplay left 4 comments bashing him… I think he qualifies as a hater.

10. alildusty - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

yeah….i was okay with gatordontplay comment untill the ‘mouth full’

Sooner or later people gotta forgive lebronze. We were all idiots at 24-25 and this guy was spoiled like a king so you can’t exactly blame him for thinking he can do anything he wants and still be loved.

With that said I still don’t want him to get anymore rings. He can have another gold medal for Team USA though.

• thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

“Lebronze”? So you are pinning the Bronze medal on a 10 kid when there were numerous veterans (including the teflon Tim Duncan) on that team? That’s what people mean by “hating” (I’m sick of that word by the way, even though it is appropriate).

• jimmymarlinsfan - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Well said

11. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Your comparing nba to international like apples to oranges when you should compare it to college football to nfl.. It’s the same basic concepts..we have the best players in the world, it shouldn’t even be close. And don’t make that bs excuse like the media makes saying they haven’t played together as long as the other teams. We 16-u 17-u and 18-u junior national teams just like everyone else. These guys play aau college nba and all star games from when they where 12 and still today.. They all know each other well.. Terrible excuse

• thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I’m pretty sure LeBron didn’t play with Chris Paul on an AAU team. I’m also sure that LeBron didn’t play on any 16-U team of any sort, much less with Carmelo or D-Wade. LeBron, Kobe, and Chandler didn’t go to college.
      What’s actually terrible is the need to find flaw in victory. That’s the clear sign of a person who enjoys finding the negative in everything. You argument has no validity and I just realized that I’m wasting my time by arguing with a troll.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

“only won by 7 points”. what does he think this is? horseshoes?

12. acdc363 - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

So he’ll play in the olympics at age 31 but can’t even do the damn dunk contest at 27?!

13. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Acdc you shouldn’t have said that.. The lebron worshipers are going to throw you in the hater and troll category

14. chiadam - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I love that he said he “did the math.” Awesome. He added 27 and 4. I guess we should be happy that he didn’t think 27 + 4 equals 274.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

He’s no Republican, if he can do that kind of math!

• jimmymarlinsfan - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Republicans want to give our “defense” unlimited funds and yet it’s those damn teachers and unions and poor people bankrupting the worlds greatest country

That must be a prerequisite for having the mind needed to complain about LeBron all the time

15. kja22 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM

No love for Kevin Love in this article? Did you forget what he did in the Olympics, or does he not matter because he doesn’t play for a big market?

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches