Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
Brandon Jennings rookie deal is almost up, the Bucks can either come to extension terms with him or give him a qualifying offer and let the market determine his worth (then they can match if they want).
Jennings has said in the past he was doing “his research” on big market teams, but really what he wants is to get paid. First contract after a rookie deal is about the first big kick at the money can. He can point to his 19.1 points per game last season (even if he was a volume scorer shooting just 41.8 percent) and say he should get paid.
Jennings told the Journal Sentinel he would love to get an extension done before the season starts and stay with the Bucks.
“It would be something I’d love to get done with and over with so I don’t have to worry about it,” Jennings said of the contract extension. “But the main thing is just to come into training camp a better player, a better leader … just lead the team to the playoffs.”
The deadline for a deal is Oct. 31, after that it will be the qualifying offer and restricted free agency rout.
The Bucks may want to go three restricted free agency road, as they are running an experiment this season with a small but dynamic backcourt of Jennings and Monta Ellis. They have a coach (Scott Skiles) and a GM (John Hammond) in the last year of their contracts, too. A lot of things could shake up at the end of the season.
Bottom line, the Bucks are not going to know how that will play out by out by Halloween, so they may want to wait. Meanwhile Jennings has to see the Serge Ibaka offer and drool a little. Jennings should realize he’s not going to make that much.
But he is going to get more than the $3.1 million he will get this season. There is a big raise and a bigger contract coming.
And that very well may still be in Milwaukee. It’s just going to take time to get there.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)