Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Brandon Jennings rookie deal is almost up, the Bucks can either come to extension terms with him or give him a qualifying offer and let the market determine his worth (then they can match if they want).
Jennings has said in the past he was doing “his research” on big market teams, but really what he wants is to get paid. First contract after a rookie deal is about the first big kick at the money can. He can point to his 19.1 points per game last season (even if he was a volume scorer shooting just 41.8 percent) and say he should get paid.
Jennings told the Journal Sentinel he would love to get an extension done before the season starts and stay with the Bucks.
“It would be something I’d love to get done with and over with so I don’t have to worry about it,” Jennings said of the contract extension. “But the main thing is just to come into training camp a better player, a better leader … just lead the team to the playoffs.”
The deadline for a deal is Oct. 31, after that it will be the qualifying offer and restricted free agency rout.
The Bucks may want to go three restricted free agency road, as they are running an experiment this season with a small but dynamic backcourt of Jennings and Monta Ellis. They have a coach (Scott Skiles) and a GM (John Hammond) in the last year of their contracts, too. A lot of things could shake up at the end of the season.
Bottom line, the Bucks are not going to know how that will play out by out by Halloween, so they may want to wait. Meanwhile Jennings has to see the Serge Ibaka offer and drool a little. Jennings should realize he’s not going to make that much.
But he is going to get more than the $3.1 million he will get this season. There is a big raise and a bigger contract coming.
And that very well may still be in Milwaukee. It’s just going to take time to get there.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 26