Video: Kobe Bryant scores 68 points in 15 minutes in Chinese celebrity game

Aug 19, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT

OK, if you were hoping for any sort of defense to be played at all in this and that it is some sort of validation of Kobe Bryant, I would recommend not watching the video, then saying you watched the video, then lying about what the actual video shows to all your friends at the bar who did not actually see the video.

BUT, if you want to see Kobe Bryant absolutely humiliate a Chinese All-Star Game by dropping 68 in 15, pretty much dunking from one end of the court to the other, here you go.

And lo, the Mamba slayed the Chinese celebrities, and it was good.

From Bryant’s Facebook page:

The Sprite China 2nd Annual Charity Basketball game was a ton of fun. We played two 15 min halves with a running clock. I watched from the bench for the first half. We were trailing by 9 when I was notified that fans via text can choose a team to add 20 additional points to their tally!!! We were now down 29!! I wanted to play it cool but what the heck, the place was packed with fans who’d sang an early happy birthday to me and really wanted to watch me go to work. My teammates were down. They are all singers/actors and do not play ball much AT ALL, but they are very successful at what they do hence they are VERY competitive. They asked if I could bring them back in the second half..

I didn’t want to disappoint them or the fans that had paid their hard earned money for a show so I took the challenge of really using the second half as a training session for my stamina. I ran and ran and ran. I wound up scoring 68 in the 2nd and we won. Like I said, they are not basketball players by any stretch of the imagination. I was just having fun with all of them and loved hearing the crowd enjoy the show we put on.

via Kobe Bryant.

“I was just having fun and could not lose, because, I mean, have you met me?” Bryant could really capitalize by being more honest on Facebook.

1. jimeejohnson - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

“Who cares” would be an understatement here. Rye (twisted and sarcastic) sense of humour intended.

• mytthor - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I think you mean wry. Unless your sense of humor is a bitter seed used in bread.

2. money2long - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

okay….i know the settings of this game have to be taken way into consideration, but cmon guys, 68 points in 15 minutes!? GTFOH!! i couldn’t even cook a full breakfast faster than that. kobe is an android.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

….It wasn’t 15 real-time minutes.
      It was 15 game-time minutes.

NBA games are “48 minutes long,” yet I often end up spending 2 hours in front of the TV watching them.

Do you understand how that is?

• money2long - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

i’m pretty sure kobe said it was a running clock.

• money2long - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

also…i don’t think kobe would need to “test his stamina” if there were multiple timeouts.

dude just finished getting a gold medal. the reason kobe mentioned it would be a test for his stamina was because the production output within the allotted time frame is what tested his stamina.

Do you understand how that is?

you think if there were timeouts and multiple stoppages that kobe would bring up this showing as a test for stamina ? no. i think you should read thoroughly and understand kobe’s comment before you assume to know what happened. i bet you just read the title and started blabbing.

• raidmagic - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Reading is FUNdamental. It was a running clock.

3. pwise76 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM

My guess is his wife called at halftime and told him not to come home if he was going to lose to a bunch of chinese actors. Only champions get round trip tickets to China. Losers stay there.

4. eventhorizon04 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

He didn’t humiliate a “Chinese All-Star basketball game”.
    He humiliated a “Chinese CELEBRITY basketball game.”

He wasn’t playing the Chinese Basketball Association’s best stars.
    He was playing Chinese singers, dancers, and comedians.

There’s a big difference between playing against guys like Yao Ming versus the Chinese equivalent of Spike Lee….

5. lmvs2012 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

dont hate kobe on this one… Chinese people loves kobe ..he was there to entertain and thats what he did and i know few hours from now i bet lot a haterz will comment about kobe scoring a dozen in 15 minutes…lol

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

No one is hating on Kobe. It’s just that if you watch the video, he immediately gets fouled, and the guy who fouls him gets a high-five.

Later on, a woman is dribbling the ball, and Kobe “steals” it and gets an easy dunk.

And it gets even less competitive after that.

I liked the Drew League games that Kobe and Durant did because while there was obvious difference in talent, the other guys on the court were actually competing, so when Kobe dropped 50+ points, it was actually fun to watch.

It’s not really impressive when Kobe’s opponents are *rooting* for him to score.

6. jaygott87 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You know Kobe knew how many points he had too, nobody had to tell him he had 68

7. juanc7467 - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

15 minutes with a running clock = 15 total minutes

8. waiting4asuperbowl - Aug 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Kobe- beast mode!

9. chicagosworth - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Come on, seriously who cares!!

10. rooney24 - Aug 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Just so we don’t have to hear during the season how Kobe is so tired from the Olympics, since he is taking the money to fly halfway around the world to play in this exhibition.

11. andrewproughcfe - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Got to love how the dude at 2:59 decides to try to reject Kobe’s dunk attempt. Beautiful.

12. dysraw1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Mr. buckets picking on those little dudes is hilarious

13. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Even the Asian community is over Linsanity.

14. readysethike - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

did they record this from a potato?

15. mannyfresh209 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Hate Kobe but this is pretty hilarious lol

Top 10 NBA Player Searches