Aug 19, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
Surviving last year with the Hornets is a pretty impressive feat for Monty Williams. Losing Chris Paul and David West, dealing with the veto debacle, having Eric Gordon perpetually injured, being drastically low on talent, the deck was stacked against Williams. But instead of the team falling apart, even though they wound up with an awful record, if you watched the Hornets, you didn’t see a team in disarray.
Getting a team without talent in the middle of a losing season to consistently come prepared to play and compete is a lot more difficult than getting a good team to play well. And yet the Hornets were ready to play every night. Under the worst circumstances, Williams did just about as good a job as possible.
And he’s being rewarded for it. From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:
Hornets Coach Monty Williams agreed to a four-year contract extension Saturday that will keep him with the team with the team through 2016. Before the agreement was reached, Williams had one year remaining on his existing deal that included a team option for a fourth year.
Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis, who also oversees the Hornets’ basketball operations, said getting Williams’ contract situation finalized was a high priority.
“He knows and we know that he’s here for the long term as we develop a young team into a championship contender,” Loomis said. “I’ve been very impressed with Monty since we purchased the team.
So Williams gets to build from the ground up with stable ownership and a potential superstar in Anthony Davis. Not bad for a guy that dealt with one of the worst years for any franchise the last few years. Now we’ll see if he can do as good of a job with a team that has talent and expectations as with a tank job.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay