Aug 19, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
Surviving last year with the Hornets is a pretty impressive feat for Monty Williams. Losing Chris Paul and David West, dealing with the veto debacle, having Eric Gordon perpetually injured, being drastically low on talent, the deck was stacked against Williams. But instead of the team falling apart, even though they wound up with an awful record, if you watched the Hornets, you didn’t see a team in disarray.
Getting a team without talent in the middle of a losing season to consistently come prepared to play and compete is a lot more difficult than getting a good team to play well. And yet the Hornets were ready to play every night. Under the worst circumstances, Williams did just about as good a job as possible.
And he’s being rewarded for it. From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:
Hornets Coach Monty Williams agreed to a four-year contract extension Saturday that will keep him with the team with the team through 2016. Before the agreement was reached, Williams had one year remaining on his existing deal that included a team option for a fourth year.
Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis, who also oversees the Hornets’ basketball operations, said getting Williams’ contract situation finalized was a high priority.
“He knows and we know that he’s here for the long term as we develop a young team into a championship contender,” Loomis said. “I’ve been very impressed with Monty since we purchased the team.
So Williams gets to build from the ground up with stable ownership and a potential superstar in Anthony Davis. Not bad for a guy that dealt with one of the worst years for any franchise the last few years. Now we’ll see if he can do as good of a job with a team that has talent and expectations as with a tank job.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49