Aug 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Coaches tend to “retire” and then drift back. You do something for so long, it gets in your blood. So you have to take what they say with a lot of salt. Not a grain. A lot. But Don Nelson is talking like there’s no question about it, he’s not coming back.
Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com reports that Nelson has said he is permanently done with coaching, not interested, even if called.
Nelson was in talks for the Timberwolves job before they went with Rick Adelman. He’s been rumored here and there for a variety of jobs, and will continue to be. But if he’s loving life sitting on beaches sipping drinks with umbrellas in them, more power to him. He’s earned it.
It’s interesting, though, that there’s not more interest in Nelson returning, considering the positional shifts we see going on in the league. Versatility and smallball is all the rage right now, and that fits right in with what Nelson does. While defense is still at a premium for winning in the playoffs, his ingenuity could do a lot with some of the rosters that are out there. Or it could crash into the ocean. That’s the risk with Nelson.
But it looks for now like we won’t be seeing Nellieball again, even as it tenets seem to be roaming the landscape.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights