Aug 18, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Brook Lopez broke his foot in December, before the season. After just five games, he sustained an ankle injury, and that was the season. He re-signed with the Nets during their shopping binge on a four-year max deal that will pay him over $12 million each year for the duration of the contract.
Training camp starts in a month.
He is still not completely healthy, but he’s pretty close.
Lopez is on the NBA’s tour of the Philippines, and on Friday, talked about his condition:
“I’m probably around 90-percent okay but I’m pretty sure I’ll be back in full shape entering the NBA season,” said Lopez
You’d sure like to hear that Lopez is back to full condition, given how long he’s been away and the money signed to him. Even with Lopez’ issues with rebounding and defensively, his offensive load is going to be pivotal for the Nets’ hopes of winning the Atlantic. But 90 percent with two and a half months before the start of the season is more than enough time for him to get that extra 10 percent down and be ready to rock when the Knicks come to the new house.
But as long as the words aren’t “totally healthy,” there will still be one eye kept on Lopez and his health.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1