Aug 18, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Brook Lopez broke his foot in December, before the season. After just five games, he sustained an ankle injury, and that was the season. He re-signed with the Nets during their shopping binge on a four-year max deal that will pay him over $12 million each year for the duration of the contract.
Training camp starts in a month.
He is still not completely healthy, but he’s pretty close.
Lopez is on the NBA’s tour of the Philippines, and on Friday, talked about his condition:
“I’m probably around 90-percent okay but I’m pretty sure I’ll be back in full shape entering the NBA season,” said Lopez
You’d sure like to hear that Lopez is back to full condition, given how long he’s been away and the money signed to him. Even with Lopez’ issues with rebounding and defensively, his offensive load is going to be pivotal for the Nets’ hopes of winning the Atlantic. But 90 percent with two and a half months before the start of the season is more than enough time for him to get that extra 10 percent down and be ready to rock when the Knicks come to the new house.
But as long as the words aren’t “totally healthy,” there will still be one eye kept on Lopez and his health.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 9
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 18
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41