Aug 17, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
The Celtics don’t want him to be. He’s never going to be the pure shooter Allen has been (who is?) but Terry can create his own shot and do things Allen can’t. And Terry likes being the sixth man, he thrives in that role.
But Terry told ESPNBoston.com he has been watching film and learning some of Allen’s plays.
“I have been watching film and watching Ray Allen, the way he maneuvers and works off screens,” Terry said, noting that one of his goals this offseason has been to become a better jump shooter while curling off of said screens.
“I believe in [Celtics head coach] Doc [Rivers]’ system. He’ll have me do some of those things, so curling the three, that’s a tough shot, it’s off balance. And that’s just one that I will add.”
It’s smart by Terry, Boston doesn’t want to start radically changing what they do, so having Terry in some of Allen’s spots makes sense. He will also create plays for himself and others that Allen just could not do at this point in his career.
Terry is one of the key reasons Boston got better this offseason. Maybe not as much as some Celtics fans seem to think, but they got better.
Here’s some more Jason Terry for you, via CSNNE.com.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 55
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 72
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19