Aug 17, 2012, 8:32 AM EST
The Knicks need Iman Shumpert back — they need perimeter defense and he is the one guy on the roster who can deliver it every night..
But he tore his ACL in the Knicks first playoff game (like Derrick Rose in Chicago) and his return is a little bit in flux.
Newsday caught up with Shumpert — who previously said he was hoping for a January return to the lineup.
“I have a steady rehab and we mix it up,” said Shumpert…. “There’s a little bit more I can do every day, but it’s definitely not the same thing being on the court sweating. I can’t wait until I get back….
“It’s getting better . . . Everything’s been good so far,” Shumpert said. “I haven’t had any bad days. I’m happy about that. I’ll be going to a MRI soon and see if we can pick up the intensity of my rehab.”
Eight months is the earliest someone can come back from an ACL injury (which would have Shumpert taking the court around Christmas and New Years. But like Rose Shumpert should not rush back — he has a long career ahead of him and consistent knee issues can shorten them. Take your time, do the rehab, make sure everything is 100 percent. No need to risk re-injury for a January date against the Magic. Get it right before you step on the court.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11