Aug 17, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
It was 20 years ago this week that Larry Bird retired from basketball. Over at CSNNE.com, they have done a fantastic job this week of remember him and what he meant to the Boston Celtics and the city.
Here’s a highlight video of Bird (if you want more, there are countless more on the Web). What I take away from this was two rememberances. First, the guy had every shot in the book. Three pointer, spin move in the post, running floater, whatever it was he could hit it. It was the hours spent in the gym practicing shots nobody else thought of.
Second, has there ever been a better shooter of a contested jumper in the game’s history? He had the footwork and game to create space for himself, but he didn’t need much because he was tall enough to shoot over you and drain it.
Just a reminder of his career numbers: 3 NBA championships, 3 time league MVP, 2 time finals MVP, 10 time All-Star, gold medal, Dream Team member, Hall of Famer. The man who, along with Magic Johnson, revitalized the game, saved the NBA and cleared the path for Jordan and all that was to come.
And that’s the short list.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 4
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 4
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)