Aug 17, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Are the Golden State Warriors a playoff team next season? Can they beat out teams like Dallas, Utah and Minnesota for one of the final spots in the Western Conference?
Maybe. A lot of that rests on the health of Stephen Curry’s ankle. And Andrew Bogut‘s health also. Both of them need to play 70 games or more next season for there to be a serious “Warriors in the playoffs” conversation. Curry played just 26 games last season, Bogut has missed nearly half the Bucks games the past three years. Both are coming off surgery.
”I’m feeling great. I know I’ve said it before … but, being out since March, having surgery in April and my last two-and-a-half months of rehab, it’s been a good process and I’m being patient with it. Right now, being able to doing a fullcourt workout and not having any soreness and tightness, it’s very optimistic where I’m at. It can only get better because there’s still five weeks till training camp.”
So he’ll be ready to go when the Golden State season starts on Halloween night in Phoenix.
About making the playoffs….
”Size-wise we match up with just about any team in the league. You don’t have the questions of the small backcourt going into the season. I think we can be really good. If you look at the talent we have, there are guys who have established themselves in the league. I think we are a playoff team. It’s easy to say that and you have to make it happen. Looking at the West it’s still tough. Some teams have shifted a little bit, but it’s still a tough conference to grab a playoff spot, but that’s our goal, to figure out a way to get in there.”
A healthy Warriors team has a chance. The problem is the West is deep with good teams — the Thunder, Lakers, Clippers, Spurs, Nuggets and Grizzlies are pretty much playoff locks. That just leaves a couple slots left and good teams like Dallas, Utah and a rising Minnesota that the Warriors need to outwork for a spot.
That’s a tall order. Curry’s ankle needs to be up to the task to continue this playoff conversation past the All-Star Game.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 21
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9