Aug 17, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
In the world’s most populous nation Kobe is far and away the biggest NBA star. Look at that photo. He’s insanely popular there.
Why? Because he worked at it with a detailed plan of attack. He was diligent. He was Kobe.
Mark Media of the Los Angeles Times gives us some details about the tour.
This is the seventh summer in a row that Bryant has visited China, including the 2008 Beijing Olympics. On this trip, according to published accounts, Bryant has hosted training clinics at Jinan in China’s Shandong province and in Wuhan in Hubei province. Bryant attended a charity dinner hosted by the China Soong Ching Ling Foundation, which raises educational funds for needy children in both China and the United States. And it’s also safe to presume he’ll participate in various events promoting his Nike sneakers.
It’s not just the rings and the skills that make Kobe the biggest NBA star in China. It’s that first sentence from Medina — he has been going there every summer for seven years to host clinics and take part in events. He developed a relationship. He kept himself in front of the Chinese people.
Kobe has done more — he has set up a separate charity in his name that works in China. He has a Chinese-language Web site. He gives back. It’s understanding what is expected in the Chinese market then delivering — not just showing up a couple years and shaking a few hands. It’s about commitment.
Like so many other times, Kobe just out worked everyone and is seeing the rewards of it.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 30
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 25
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 21
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22