Aug 17, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
In the world’s most populous nation Kobe is far and away the biggest NBA star. Look at that photo. He’s insanely popular there.
Why? Because he worked at it with a detailed plan of attack. He was diligent. He was Kobe.
Mark Media of the Los Angeles Times gives us some details about the tour.
This is the seventh summer in a row that Bryant has visited China, including the 2008 Beijing Olympics. On this trip, according to published accounts, Bryant has hosted training clinics at Jinan in China’s Shandong province and in Wuhan in Hubei province. Bryant attended a charity dinner hosted by the China Soong Ching Ling Foundation, which raises educational funds for needy children in both China and the United States. And it’s also safe to presume he’ll participate in various events promoting his Nike sneakers.
It’s not just the rings and the skills that make Kobe the biggest NBA star in China. It’s that first sentence from Medina — he has been going there every summer for seven years to host clinics and take part in events. He developed a relationship. He kept himself in front of the Chinese people.
Kobe has done more — he has set up a separate charity in his name that works in China. He has a Chinese-language Web site. He gives back. It’s understanding what is expected in the Chinese market then delivering — not just showing up a couple years and shaking a few hands. It’s about commitment.
Like so many other times, Kobe just out worked everyone and is seeing the rewards of it.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 1
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 10
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay