Aug 17, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Finally, we have reached that time in August when we can definitively speculate on what teams will be playing like next May and June. Because we all nailed that Mavericks championship two years ago and got that Heat vs. Bulls Eastern Conference Finals we expected last year.
On paper it does seem to be a two-team race out West. The Thunder just went to the finals and their young core — Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden — returns wearing gold medals. They are young and should be improved. But the Lakers could be even better now that they have a monster lineup after adding Steve Nash and Dwight Howard to Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.
That roster has a lot of people are now leaning Lakers in the West, but former Spur and ESPN commentator Bruce Bowen isn’t one. He was on Sports Radio 560 WQAM and Project Spurs gives us the transcription.
“There’s a team out West called the Oklahoma City Thunder. Those young boys, it seems like each and every year they get better… I don’t think you can rule them out with their starters, their bench. You look at Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka down low, I think they will be aggressive and challenge Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol. Then you look at James Harden coming off the bench, who’s going to matchup with him? It’s not even a question with Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook. So now it leaves Kobe and Kevin Durant…. I’m not sold on this new Lakers team because it takes time to gel.”
Bowen isn’t wrong, it does take time for a team to come together, especially since Howard could be out at least for most of training camp and maybe the start of the season. The Lakers have overhauled their roster and overhauled their coaching staff and will run some Princeton sets. It’s all new. There are a lot of things to bring together for Mike Brown and staff. A lot of things for the players to figure out.
Really, we’re not going to be able to judge the Lakers vs. Thunder until what we see the Lakers are playing like in March. Remember, it took the Heat more than a season to win with their superstars and the idea it could take a couple years for the Lakers is very possible (even if they get by the Thunder there will be the Heat to contend with).
But we should speculate about it now.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 0
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48