Rose says seeing Heat win motivated him to get his own

Aug 16, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT

For much of the past couple seasons, the Miami Heat and Chicago Bulls went back and forth. The Bulls were the better regular season team, but the Heat made it to the finals in 2011 and seemed to have a higher ceiling with their players.

Last season, the Bulls had the better regular season record and they were destined to clash with the Heat in the Eastern Conference finals — until Derrick Rose went down. Then the Bulls were out in the first round and the Heat went on to win the chip.

In the second half of an exclusive interview with Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com (you can see the first half here), Rose talks about how seeing the Heat hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy has motivated him in his recovery.

“With them winning a championship? Hopefully mine is next year and that’s the way I’m looking at it. I’ve just got to believe in myself, believe in the team and really work my butt off”

As for the doubters…

“I know it’s going to push me even harder. It seemed like I missed all last year — played games here and there, but I still missed a lot of games — and this year, I know a whole bunch of haters out there are saying so many things,” Rose said. “I think that’s what’s going to drive me, thinking about what people are saying — ‘Is he going to be back, is he going to have his speed,’ or this and that — I know that’s going to push me as a player. I’m listening and watch everything, and if I don’t hear it, best believe one of my friends hears it and they’re telling me. That’s why I love them to death because they know that motivates me and makes me want to do better as a player.”

1. scorp16 - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

“I think that’s what’s going to drive me, thinking about what people are saying…….I’m listening and watch everything”

WOW…sounds somewhat familiar. Looks like Drose is adopting the Lebron James “taking notes strategy” from the aftermath of “The Decision”. If that’s the case and this is truly what is motivating him – his game will suffer.

I’d rather have heard him say his energy was focused on his recovery and his game; and that he wasn’t listening to the noise

• pudgalvin - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Worked out terribly for Lebron too…

• thestudiokida - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I wouldn’t read too far into it. Most pro athletes are insanely competitive. Sometimes it isn’t easy to find energy & motivation to keep at it; thus the D-Rose comments. He is going through a tough time not being able to compete and for a normal person it would be easy to give up… but he has to compete and he needs some doubters and nay-sayers to fuel his fire.

2. stsrq - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

“Taking names” and using it as motivation seemed to work for MJ. DRose has a completely different mentality than Bron.

3. isujames - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

@^^ thats how any and all winners/competitors would feel if they were D. Rose, you must have never been good in any competitive sport/never participated or are satisfied with being second best or runner up.Either way it still =Loser.

4. zeedoubleyou - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Healthy or not, he’ll be Errick Rose until he starts bringing some D to his game.

• neeciekay - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

And what talents do you have? Oh yeah, coming online and posting dumb comments about a man that could buy and sell your lame ass 1000 times! You haters are ridiculous. Go back down to your mama’s basement and beat your meat! Chi-town’s got D. Roses back, all the rest of you haters can kick rocks!!

• lucaslatronico - Aug 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM

D Rose doesn’t get steals or plays the passing lanes, but he is a good on ball defender, not great! but he is good

5. miamatt - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Guess he’ll just have to get used to getting motivated, then.

6. rostar83 - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Wow… What a bulls**t… Errick Rose… Now what about Ben Goron, Irk Nowitzki and your A… Get it? You Loser!

7. rickyspanish - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I’m no Bulls fan, but you gotta be crazy if you don’t enjoying watching this guy play. I hope that his acl gets back to 100% because watching this dude jump is amazing. Put back dunks from a PG is something I’ll watch everyday.

8. rickyspanish - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

9. jimmymarlinsfan - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Great Derrick. Good to hear. Now who is coming to Chicago to be the 2nd and 3rd pieces needed to win it all?

• neeciekay - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He’s not worried about that, he’s focused on himself! That’s what consimate professionals do. You wouldn’t know anything about that, because you’re obviously not good at anything but being a HATER!! GO DIE HATER!!

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

1. He was insulting the Chicago Bulls’ roster, not Derrick Rose. I believe his point was that while the Bulls had a legitimate superstar in Rose, there were no worthwhile #2 or #3 options on the team (at least in his opinion).

2. You really need to calm down if criticism of a sports figure makes you start typing “DIE DIE DIE” angrily.

3. *consummate

10. congocash - Aug 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Rose will win nothing in chicago… Miami has that conferance locked up for the next decade….

• neeciekay - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Conference is spelled: c-o-n-f-e-r-e-n-c-e, go dust off your crystal ball, and tell us all what the next Lotto #’s will be. . .I’m so done conversing with you haters, you all are ridiculously pathetic! Must be hard to live such a miserable existence, SMH and Lovin me some D.Rose!!!

11. manotas211 - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

He must be smoking on something good. The bulls won’t be able to handle the Heat. If the do. The Lakers would tear them apart.

12. test2402 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Eerick Rose. That’s great.

13. rhetoric1 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

humble motivation.

14. dls612 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Well I hope he do come back strong and give my Heat a challenge! put to rest about what if he wasn’t injured! The next excuse Will be they are not the same team from last season! I respect all the transactions teams have made but Miami is a very scary team! You have to admit!

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Agreed.
      There are no “what-if’s” in sports.

In the NFL, the year after Tom Brady won the league MVP as led his team to a perfect regular season record and a near Super Bowl win, Brady tore his ACL and was lost for the season.

The NFL didn’t cancel the Super Bowl, or say, “The Super Bowl doesn’t count this year since Brady was injured.” That’s not how sports work – teams can only compete against players on the court, and the fact that your favorite player is injured doesn’t invalidate the entire league’s season.

15. monkeyhateclean - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

How long is his Bulls contract, 4 more years? No one is going to want him by then, and CHI-town is too cold, no good FAs are going to play there, so he better Dwight his way to one of the warm big-market teams or a New York team, because aside from OKC, those are the only teams FAs want to superteam up. Isn’t the NBA awesome?

16. pop562 - Aug 17, 2012 at 6:54 AM

D Rose is a beast, I hope for a speedy rehab because it’s exciting to watch this dude ball. His competitive nature is up there with Kobe and Lebron.

17. asublimeday - Aug 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Lebron should send Roses ACL a thank you card. Never wins it this year without rose going down.

• zeedoubleyou - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for the laugh

18. deiong - Aug 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

at least when he gets his, he will have earned it. intead of quiting and taking the easy way out, and then failing on that and crying to daddy stern to give him the next one like some other crazy guy did :)

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches