Aug 16, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Derrick Rose wasn’t the only point guard to have a devastating knee injury last year, but Ricky Rubio doesn’t have an entire marketing campaign based around his return.
But like Rose, his team’s playoff goals hinge on his return.
And like Rose, Rubio has been working out to return and appears to be ahead of schedule. He had surgery in March and recovery normally takes close to a year, but Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press you should be thinking Christmas.
“The doctors said he was progressing faster than normal, and normal was supposed to be in January,” Taylor said Tuesday, Aug. 14, a day before heading to China on a two-week charity mission. “Faster than normal would be December. He’s going to start running and stuff in a few weeks.”
Minnesota will try to find a backcourt rotation until Rubio returns with Luke Ridnour, the returning from injury Brandon Roy and just signed Alexey Shved, who looked good in the Olympics but is an NBA rookie who will have to earn his run. Rick Adelman will play around with rotations in the preseason and see what he’s got, but things should be a lot more settled once Rubio returns and can start to play regular minutes.
The Timberwolves are a borderline playoff team, with Rubio directing the show at full health I would say they are in, but with him missing the first couple of months then trying to jump back in the fray it is going to be tight. They need big seasons from Kevin Love and guys like Roy and Andrei Kirilenko to make it a reality.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 1
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 24
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65