Aug 16, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Derrick Rose wasn’t the only point guard to have a devastating knee injury last year, but Ricky Rubio doesn’t have an entire marketing campaign based around his return.
But like Rose, his team’s playoff goals hinge on his return.
And like Rose, Rubio has been working out to return and appears to be ahead of schedule. He had surgery in March and recovery normally takes close to a year, but Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press you should be thinking Christmas.
“The doctors said he was progressing faster than normal, and normal was supposed to be in January,” Taylor said Tuesday, Aug. 14, a day before heading to China on a two-week charity mission. “Faster than normal would be December. He’s going to start running and stuff in a few weeks.”
Minnesota will try to find a backcourt rotation until Rubio returns with Luke Ridnour, the returning from injury Brandon Roy and just signed Alexey Shved, who looked good in the Olympics but is an NBA rookie who will have to earn his run. Rick Adelman will play around with rotations in the preseason and see what he’s got, but things should be a lot more settled once Rubio returns and can start to play regular minutes.
The Timberwolves are a borderline playoff team, with Rubio directing the show at full health I would say they are in, but with him missing the first couple of months then trying to jump back in the fray it is going to be tight. They need big seasons from Kevin Love and guys like Roy and Andrei Kirilenko to make it a reality.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 8
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7