Aug 16, 2012, 11:52 AM EST
After all his years of being interviewed, Kobe Bryant is a practiced interview subject. He stays on point and gets his message across, and while you can pick up his mood he is able to avoid controversy… unless he wants a little. Like prodding Pau Gasol publically.
His wife, Vanessa, is not as practiced. She has largely stayed out of interviews despite being all-over TMZ as she filed for divorce from Kobe, something that seems to be off but… oh, go to TMZ and dig up the rumors yourself. I’m not going there.
“I certainly would not want to be married to somebody that can’t win championships. If you’re sacrificing time away from my family and myself for the benefit of winning championships, then winning a championship should happen every single year.”
That certainly comes off as… elitist. Which is a kind word for her reputation among some at Staples Center. That said, it kind of sounds like a less polished version of what Kobe Bryant would say.
I’m not going rip Vanessa for this comment. She is trying to raise two kids, which is a hard full time job, and keep her marriage together. I’m married and with three kids about the same age as the Bryants, it has challenges.
But I will add I am trying to raise my daughters with a belief that hard work is never wasted. That it is its own reward. That if you put in the time and make the sacrifices to be as good as you can be at something — for example to make the NBA, to be an elite player in the NBA — that is a reward. Winning is the goal, but it is not the only benefit of the effort (in Kobe’s case, there are some rather large paychecks). I’m sure the Bryant’s are trying to impart that work ethic to their kids as well.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20