Kevin Durant is on Stephen Jackson’s rap album, so that’s a wrap on life as we know it

Aug 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

kevin-durant-thunderstruck-movie-405x350

Stephen Jackson loves to rap. He spent a lot of the lockout working on an album, and has a new one he expects to drop this month.But his guest star is what is likely to make some waves. It’s Kevin Durant.

From XXL Magazine’s interview with Captain Jackson, via HoopsHype:

You mentioned that KD is on the album. How do you kind of stay away from getting grouped in with all of the other NBA players who try their hand at rapping? A lot of people have this and that to say about players who make music, so how do you kind of stand alone on that?

I don’t care, I don’t pay attention to it, I’m me. Who cares what people say? I mean, people’s opinions are like buttholes—everybody has one. I don’t even pay it attention.

So Durant’s kind of nice with it?

Yeah, KD can go, man. I respect him for even getting on the track with me, because a lot of athletes are scared to even get on the same song with me ’cause they feel I’m gonna embarrass them. I’m just happy he took the time to do it, and he really killed the verse so a lot of people are gonna be surprised by it.

via Stephen Jackson Speaks on His Rap Career, 2 Chainz Sleeping on His Couch and More… | XXL.

Durant could drop a verse on milk and cookies, and this is somehow still going to negatively affect his image, which is ridiculously stupid. Even if his words contain the usual offensive-to-mainstream-and-by-mainstream-we-mean-rural-white-America words and ideas, he shouldn’t get more grief because he happens to be the scoring champ in Oklahoma. He should be able to express himself like anyone can.

But he’s held to a different standard because of how he’s been billed. It’s not even what Durant has spun himself as. It’s about what his team hasn’t spun hims as. And what they haven’t spun him as is someone who has tattoos and raps. Which really just speaks to how society is uncomfortable with that culture rather than anything else.

But we’ll see. Maybe Durant will spit the most offensive line in history and it will be shocking or maybe it’ll be like Cookie Monster doing “99 Problems.”

1. acdc363 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

People’s opinions are like buttholes that is brilliant stuff! In all seriousness though
    this will certainly not negatively affect KD’s image in my eyes. Unless he dropped a bunch of N-bombs but I doubt he would. If anything this makes me respect him more! Get at ‘em KD!

2. jakeelman914 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

This will probably be the only time 2 Chainz is mentioned on this blog…

3. raider2124 - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Rap is for the ignorant. People who listen to rap are the lowest if the low.

• spellingcopfather - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM

STFU!!!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Your statement is ignorant. (Although if your opinion of rap is based on what you’ve been hearing on the radio the last decade I can see why you say that…that’s not rap, that’s the industry putting it’s deathgrip on all those sheep artist.)

4. ccshocktalk - Aug 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

To make a generalized statement about white rural american’s is just as bad as your perceived notion that they all have something against rap culture. I am white, and from a rural area and having tattoo’s and I have no problem with rap music. I’ll speak for myself when I say you’re a pot calling the kettle black. Aren’t you condemning rural white Americans for exactly the same thing you are doing?

As a white rural American, I speak for myself when I say that I don’t have a problem with rap culture, but I do have a problem when they cannot/ choose not to write simple sentences correctly. The problem isn’t with what they’re saying, it is however with how they are saying it and writing it. It is quite astonishing when you see all of the hip hop and rap videos about guns, gangsters, b-tches, hoes, people saying nigga this nigga that, and then go on to complain that people don’t like your culture. People just might not like it because it perpetuates the idea of gangs being cool, drugs and alcohol abuse being alright, and that you should slap a b-tch for not doing whatever it is you want them to do.

As for KD, he has a great reputation, he has a lot of ink, you just can’t see it because it’s on his chest and back and none of that will change who he is, or his reputation around the league. It is possible for a rapper to actually rhyme and still spell words correctly and actually have a decent message in the music. Then again, what do I know, just a honkey from rural America who grew up in a blue collar family working hard, paid my way through college to earn multiple degrees…not sure we rural white American’s are good for anything; we’re just here to hold the black people back that’s all.

• dacapt704 - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

calm down dog..ur in the minority and I think you know that. He was making a generalization about those who condemn rap music and he is right. You wont find many white rural Americans playing it, it is what it is. No need to be offended by it, just consider yourself “not average”.

Just like they generalize about Black men not playing a role in their kids lives. I know they are not talking about me so why get myself all upset over it? I can be REAL enough to know that it is a sad truth about my ppl, I dont get defensive about it…I just make sure that I am not continuing that trend. Period

5. dysraw1 - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

the cultural difference’s are always gonna be the standards of racism, just as the majority of the black feels torture while listening to la’ boheim, some whites feel that rap is the epitome of evil. ignorance is being a my way or the highway like raider2124 its a shame that some 500 years after being brought here we still have not over come the small things that makes people clash

6. therealgts - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Raider2124 why don’t you proofread your posts before calling people ignorant. “lowest if the low?”. Yeah the music someone listens to really makes them ignorant. Read a book you stereotypical hillbilly

• ccshocktalk - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

why does Raider2124 have to be a “hillbilly”; just because he cannot seem to write clearly does not mean he is from the country. There actually seems to be a huge push for schools in metro areas to deliver a better education because they are behind…with that in mind, I would say there is a strong possibility that he is actually from a metropolitan area, and not a hillbilly at all. When will people stop with the labels?

• money2long - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

you just contradicted yourself by being a hypocrite and labeling him as a possible metropolitan occupant.

• ccshocktalk - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I said there is a strong possibility he is from a metropolitan area. I didn’t call him any names for being from a metropolitan area or for not being from a metropolitan area. He’s a person none the less if he’s from the sticks or from the city. But to label him as a hillbilly is just stupid because living in the rural parts of America does not make you a hillbilly. I live 2 miles down the road from Dwight Howard, and I assure you that the small town that is half hour outside the city is not full of hillbilly’s and certainly is not a city. Labels to define people are often misconceptions and may be given by an ignorant person to someone else.

7. savvybynature - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Whoa there, why are you assuming some major backlash?
    It’s been known for a while that KD likes to rap a bit, and I’ve never heard anything negative about it until this insinuation that “white America” will be against it. Guess what, white America is the one buying more rap CDs than anyone else! Also, there are many rappers that spit uplifting messages and deliver intelligent social commentary. You act as if everyone that raps is saying something controversial, and that’s just not the case.
    Plus, you missed the best line of this whole interview: “So I assume Pop doesn’t listen to rap?” SJax: “I don’t know what Pop listens to, but I wouldn’t give him my rap album.”
    Lol, now that’s funny stuff right there. It also shows that Pop and SJax respect each other even if they have different interests, which if you read this article you might not think possible.

8. ebrownwareagle - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM

And We call ourselves patriotic Americans. Yeah Phuckin right. This is probably the most racist country in the world. History shows that what white Americans don’t understand, they fear and try to destroy it. Just look it up.

• ccshocktalk - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Can you please educate the rest of us and enlighten us on these situations where white Americans destroyed things that they “feared” and please provide the documentation that shows they “feared” something then destroyed it. I’d really love to see this.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Yeah, I would like to know too! Because, you know, slavery never happend, right? Women had equal rights forever huh? Whites are the majority locked down in the system too, huh? Oh yeah, and education is top notch in heavily black populations like it is in white communities. ebrown, how DARE you say that. Psssh.

9. dgbk - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM

all my hillbilly hip hop fans say Hoooooooooooo!

On a serious note if you chose to hate anyone I say enjoy. I find it silly for u to hate someone you never will talk to or live next to. if being that bitter and sad inside makes you happy go for it. Long as durant hits jump shots i doubt rural america will care if he raps.

10. jengibre23 - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

KD can go pretty hard. He really is a decent rapper. I got a few of his stuff on NY phone. I wish he would do more

11. 00maltliquor - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’ve heard the Durantula rap before on youtube…he’s really not bad, he’s got potential. I also like some of Stack5’s (Stephen Jackson) tracks too. I would love to hear them together.

12. 00maltliquor - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM

LOL! The Cookie Monster doing “99 Problems”!

“If your havin’ snack problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a chocolate chip ain’t one-hit me!”

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches