Jay-Z controls everything, wants less Bon Jovi at Nets games

Aug 16, 2012, 10:43 AM EST

US rapper Jay-Z performs during a concer Getty Images

Jay-Z’s fingerprints are all over the Brooklyn Nets and the new Barclays Center they will open in Brooklyn this season.

Actually, they won’t open it, Jay-Z will with a series of sold-out concerts. Performances some people will watch from the Vault Suites that were specially designed by Jay-Z.

While Mikhail Prokhorov owns 80 percent of the Nets and he and former owner Bruce Ratner are going to make a lot of money on the Brooklyn Yards development project (of which the Barclays Center is an anchor), it is Jay-Z that is the face of the Nets and is controlling a lot of the look and feel as the team moves to Brooklyn — down to what music is played at games. The New York Times breaks it down for us.

He helped design the team logos and choose the team’s stark black-and-white color scheme, and personally appealed to National Basketball Association officials to drop their objections to it (the N.B.A., according to a person with knowledge of the discussion, thought that African-American athletes did not look good on TV in black, an assertion that a league spokesman adamantly denied). He counseled arena executives on what kind of music to play during games. (“Less Jersey,” he urged, pushing niche artists like Santigold over old favorites like Bon Jovi.)

Any time there is less Bon Jovi it is good for all of us, everywhere.

Jay-Z touch is wide ranging even helped come up with better security checks at the door for weapons and the like. Nets GM Billy King said Jay-Z helps out with players in terms of helping find them places to live, helping them adjust to the market. King says that Jay-Z being young, rich and African-American lets him relate to players in a way others just cannot.

If you don’t think having Jay-Z as an owner helps, look at what one prominent agent told the Times:

Aaron Goodwin, an agent who has represented many young players who became N.B.A. stars, said (Jay-Z’s) involvement had improved the image of the Nets in athletes’ eyes. “They’re going to take the phone call now,” he said. “They’re going to take the flight in. They’re going to listen. In years past, the Nets wouldn’t have gotten that. But now they’re in the game.”

Having less Bon Jovi helps, too.

By the way, my favorite revelation of the Times story is that author Mary Higgins Clark and former Treasury secretary Robert E. Rubin also are both minority owners of the team. Really glad they didn’t let Rubin design the new unis.

1. timb12 - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Since when is Jay-Z young? He’s on the wrong side of 40.

• swill881 - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Nowhere does it claim that Jay-Z is young.

• gor76 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

“King says that Jay-Z being young, rich and African-American lets him relate to players in a way others just cannot.”

• florida727 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

“swill”, you might want to actually READ the article before posting. Just a thought…

• n2thaizzo - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

To Billy King, Jay is young.

• teambringitstrong - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

In terms of being a owner of any percentage of an NBA team, Jay-Z IS young.

• crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

For sure. He’s lost my respect.

2. 700levelvet - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

You need all the gimmicks you can get……..When the team ( you know the reason you actually go to a basketball game)…..Is garbage

3. phaden27 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Still can’t get Jon Bon Jovi on that helicopter….

• drewsylvania - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Poor Stevie Ray Vaughn.

4. loungefly74 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

how the heck is Bon Jovi still relevant???!!!! Did “time” stop in parts of Jersey?

• blueintown - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Bon Jovi is the mascot pro tempore of New Jersey. Also, the Nets aren’t in jersey.

• akmgiants - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

i think thats springsteen

• blueintown - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It’s a close one, but the release of “Streets of Philadelphia” sets Bruce back a notch in my book. As long as that flocculent mane adorns Jon Bon’s peak, he will always embody the essence of The Garden State.

• blueintown - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Of course, Jon Bon owns a Philadelphia based football team. Perhaps the new official mascot is governor Butterball. What better caricature of that state than a fat white guy who is always pissed off?

• loungefly74 - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

i was making the point of how/why is Bon Jovi relevant IN GENERAL…we all loved the 1st 2 albums back in the late 80’s…but come on.

• sipowiczed - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM

This may be relevant.
        “The Circle is the title of the eleventh studio album by rock band Bon Jovi. Produced by John Shanks, the album was released November 10, 2009, with the new single “We Weren’t Born to Follow” premiering on radio August 17.[1] The album was released in Germany and Ireland on October 30, 2009, and debuted at#1 in several countries, including the US, where it sold 163,000 copies in its first week debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.[2] This gives them their fourth No. 1 album after their 2007 effort, Lost Highway.[2]”

5. cosanostra71 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I think the point is that Jay-z was young black and rich at one point so he can relate. he’s still young in the scheme of things, especially compared to most owners

6. smackingfools - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Jay Z worships the devil. Look it up. You people don’t even know what you’re listening to.

• timb12 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Beyonce?!

• mikeewright7 - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Jay Z does not worshipped the devil
        Read this verse and listen to his song freemason ft rick ross

“N**** couldn’t do nothing with me they put the devil on me
        I would have preferred if n**** would squeeze the metal on me

He without sin shall cast the first stone
        So y’all check in the mirror, double check your appearance

Diamonds in my rosary shows he forgave him
        B**** I’m red hot, I’m on my third six BUT THE DEVIL, I’m not

• mikeewright7 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

In the Words of Jayz

“N!99@ couldn’t do nothing with me they put the devil on me
      I would have preferred if n!99@ would squeeze the metal on me
      Rumors of Lucifer, I don’t know who to trust
      Whole world want my demise, turn my music up
      Here me clearly
      If y’all n!99@ fear me, just say y’all fear me
      F*** all these fairy tales, go to hell this is God engineering
      This is a Hail Mary pass, y’all interfering
      He without sin shall cast the first stone
      So y’all check in the mirror, double check your appearance
      B**** I said I was amazing
      Not that I’m a Mason
      It’s amazing that I made it through the maze that I was in
      Lord forgive me I never would’ve made it without sin
      Holy Water, my face in the basin
      Diamonds in my rosary shows he forgave him
      B**** I’m red hot, I’m on my third six BUT THE DEVIL, I’m not
      My Jesus piece flooded but thou shall not covet
      Keep your eyes off my cupboard
      I’m a bad MF, it’s Hov just say you love it

Worshipped great Lyrics

• knightrider1755 - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

All you haters. Stop hating on Jay Z. If you had half his money and Beyonce you wouldn’t even be posting on this blog.

• paleihe - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM

• drewsylvania - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Him hoarding money IS a reason to hate on him.

• source7769 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM

i wish i hadnt read that verse my head is spinning from deciphering that nonsense

7. tannethrill - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The real barometer here will be when they lose if people still show up. Frankly we need to see them show up for winning first.

Hilarious how Dolan can block a football stadium from being built down the block but he couldn’t keep another (better) team from moving in on his city.

How many times a week do you think Jay-Z calls Spike to try and sway him over?

8. dysraw1 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM

as a b-ball fan the off season is murder for me, it occurs to me that its hard on the writers to, I mean how many articles that i just read the head lines and say to myself don’t waste your time. i love to read about transactions trades injurys an even arrest. read about up and coming young players. my point being is try to be little more interesting than what kind music that Jay wants who really cares about that

9. badintent - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Rubin is the smuck that talked Clinton into signing away the Glass Stegall Act, that had kept Wall Street and conventinoal banks apart for over 60 years. The Wall STreet meltdown in 2008 was due to Clinton’Stupidity and Rubin’s greed and taking care of his old Wall Street buddies that he had worked with for over 30 years. I wouldn’t let Rubin be a partner of a lemonade stand.Bon Jovi is music, rap is not.”Sampling” j- Jerk, is stealing.Pay up, sucker.As forJ-jerk designing suites,’ Woolworth fabric is Woolworth taste..’……………………Tina Turner describing her ex-wife beating hsuband home decorating taste.

10. tk1966 - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

” that Jay-Z being young, rich and African-American lets him relate to players in a way others just cannot”

So which is it? Should race matter? Or shouldn’t it? We cannot continue to have it both ways…

• teambringitstrong - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM

White guilt is a mother, huh?

11. paleihe - Aug 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM

For someone with only 1% ownership, he sure is making a lot of decisions.

And their logo looks horrible.

12. stebutt - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

All this, and he’s absolute rubbish. Amazing eh?

13. jonirocit - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Less jay-z the better .

• crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!

14. bbk1000 - Aug 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Jay-Z is a clown….but he is smart, certainly smarter than anyone who listens to his music….

15. brenenostler - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM

“Any time there is less Bon Jovi, it is good for all of us, everywhere.”
    ______________________________________________________

FAIL. Even those that aren’t big fans can say they like a few songs from this band.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I think you’re lying.

16. test2402 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I like the Deadliest Catch theme song. B bum b bum bum b bum, b uvum bum bum. Bum bumb umb umb bumb um, bum u bum Bum, I’m a cowboy, on the steel horse I ride. I’m wanted…… Dead or alive. Bum bum bum bum, bum, bum bumb bum.

17. 5pecialk - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Michael Jackson and Elvis can come back and do a couple sold out concerts, too, but when it comes to basketball, you’re still the Nets.

18. diablito0402 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Glocks 4 everyone,,, MD 20/20 after games, mandatory!!

19. matthews4 - Aug 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I can understand Gay Z wanting to get away from anything that embodies New Jersey because the team is now in N.Y., but for Kurt whoever to take shots at a group that has been that successful and relevant for 25 years, gimme a break dude. For all of you people who don’t know look it up every time this group goes on tour they are the #1 grossing act. Beating out groups like U2,Springsteen, and Lady Gaga, the last time. They have sold over 120 million albums world wide and they are the only rock group to have a #1 song on the country charts(Who Says You Can’t Go Home). Now I don’t know how you judge success and relevance but when Santigold does any of this let me know. Kurt the less of your musical views the better for all 120 million of us. I’m just sayin….

20. ray21230 - Aug 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Everything Jay touches turns to gold. Only Oprah makes more money than him in the black community

21. Miami305 - Aug 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Jay Z needs to warsh his mouth out with soap. What a bad example for the youth of today. If you really follow Jesus clean up your language!

Miami Heat 2013 Champions!

• phaden27 - Aug 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

It’s bad to follow other people’s imaginary friend.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Atheist, much?

• phaden27 - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Oh very much.

• crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE!

• crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM

with miami ^

22. crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Screw JayZ. What an ass. He’s lost what little respect I even had for him in the first place.

23. crazyjonbonjovifan - Aug 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM

He’s mad cuz Jovi is, has, and always will be better than him…..AND more popular.

24. pacells - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

funny how Kurt Helin feels “Any time there is less Bon Jovi it is good for all of us” when his parent company NBC is all over Bon Jovi any chance it gets including on it’s following shows:

-President Obama Innaugration
    -30 Rock
    -Saturday Night Live
    -Today Show
    -The West Wing
    -NBC Nightly News
    -Tonight Show
    -Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
    -Las Vegas
    -Arena Football
    -Ellen DeGenres

should i go on? or should i just leave you with, as anyone who has ever watched an NBC Sports production knows, the less NBC Sports there is the better it is for all of us sports fans.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches