Blake Griffin has spent summer reworking his jump shot

Aug 16, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT

Clippers' Griffin slam dunks against Grizzlies during Game 6 of their NBA Western Conference basketball playoff series in Los Angeles Reuters

We all know Blake Griffin needs a more consistent jump shot.

Spare me the “all he can do is dunk” line because first, it’s not true, and second, the dunk is the single most efficent shot in basketball and if a guy can get five or more dunks a game he should take every one of them. I’d rather have any NBA player dunking rather than shooting a 15-footer. Well, not J.J. Barea, but every other NBA player.

But to space the floor, make him a more dangerous player and for the good of the Clippers offense he needs a more consistent outside shot. Last season he averated 3.9 shots per game from 16 feet out to the arc and shot 37 percent on those (via Hoopdata.com). That has to improve. And he knows it.

He was on the Champs podcast — something found by Beckley Mason at TrueHoop — and was very open and honest about working on his jumper before Team USA training camp.

I hired a shooting coach. I work with him every single day.

Yea (his old shooting form was) kind of a fadeaway or a push-arm shot. Or bring it behind my head — slightly. Like if you watched me shoot you wouldn’t be like, “That’s a terrible shot.” It was decent, I guess. But now I’ve just kind of streamlined it. But I’ve still got a lot of work to do.

You struggle with it because when you relearn all this stuff I guess you shoot terrible. You shoot worse than you ever have. Then you turn a corner when it all kind of clicks together. It’s not really relearning to shoot, completely, but I turned the corner and felt a lot better about it. Then I got hurt… lost it all!

Griffin needed minor knee surgery after an injury during Team USA training camp (he had to miss the Olympics and was replaced on the roster by Anthony Davis).

But really this is just more time to work on the jump shot. And his comedy. But mostly his jump shot.

1. pmd5319 - Aug 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM

All he can do is dunk.

2. ihavenonickname - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM

best forward in basketball

hmm…

3. rooney24 - Aug 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Good for him. I love to see any player working to improve their game.

4. mat9844 - Aug 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Blake has the talent to accomplish any goals he sets for himself; can’t wait to see the Clips in action this year! We’ve got a great team. BTW, Blake, you don’t need to practice the comedy – you’re a natural.

5. GymAlien - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Blake has a fair jump shot it’s his set shot (that’s what a free throw is yo know) that’s the problem. Blake you shoot the set shot with the same timing of the jump shot. As if you are floating up through the air but still standing there all stretched out…then you begin the real shot…bad, bad, bad boy!. It’s a different timing my friend. Consider the movement of the ball itself and keep it in motion. Slow to fast movement upward until the release. No stops and starts. You’re shooting you’re free throws like Charles Barkley swings at a golf ball. The segments are pretty much right but putting them together with smoothing timing is the big problem.
    GymAlien said so! (author of Zen and The Perfect JumpShot)

• GymAlien - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM

good God Almighty my spelling in that was horrible!

6. jordanismyidol - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Jump shot?! He should be working on his ft shots!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview