Aug 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
With a major international basketball tournament like the Olympics, you hope to get through it without a major injury, but you know there likely will be one.
Chinese media says Yi Jianlian has MCL strain which will affect his chances of returning to NBA this season.
Yi twisted his knee in a game against Australia. He was China’s best player, averaging 14.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds, and he had a 30-point game in the Olympics. Yi has always had athletic talent but he seemed more comfortable putting that to use in the Olympic setting. He was China’s star, he was the country’s flag bearer for the games.
Yi also was a free agent following a season on the Dallas bench. It may be a year off of the NBA, but Yi could in theory play in the shorter Chinese Basketball Association season if he heals.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 11
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 23
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23