Aug 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
With a major international basketball tournament like the Olympics, you hope to get through it without a major injury, but you know there likely will be one.
Chinese media says Yi Jianlian has MCL strain which will affect his chances of returning to NBA this season.
Yi twisted his knee in a game against Australia. He was China’s best player, averaging 14.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds, and he had a 30-point game in the Olympics. Yi has always had athletic talent but he seemed more comfortable putting that to use in the Olympic setting. He was China’s star, he was the country’s flag bearer for the games.
Yi also was a free agent following a season on the Dallas bench. It may be a year off of the NBA, but Yi could in theory play in the shorter Chinese Basketball Association season if he heals.
- Klay Thompson should not have been allowed to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 0
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 12
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 12
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 73