Aug 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EST
With a major international basketball tournament like the Olympics, you hope to get through it without a major injury, but you know there likely will be one.
Chinese media says Yi Jianlian has MCL strain which will affect his chances of returning to NBA this season.
Yi twisted his knee in a game against Australia. He was China’s best player, averaging 14.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds, and he had a 30-point game in the Olympics. Yi has always had athletic talent but he seemed more comfortable putting that to use in the Olympic setting. He was China’s star, he was the country’s flag bearer for the games.
Yi also was a free agent following a season on the Dallas bench. It may be a year off of the NBA, but Yi could in theory play in the shorter Chinese Basketball Association season if he heals.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 8
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16