Aug 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
With a major international basketball tournament like the Olympics, you hope to get through it without a major injury, but you know there likely will be one.
Chinese media says Yi Jianlian has MCL strain which will affect his chances of returning to NBA this season.
Yi twisted his knee in a game against Australia. He was China’s best player, averaging 14.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds, and he had a 30-point game in the Olympics. Yi has always had athletic talent but he seemed more comfortable putting that to use in the Olympic setting. He was China’s star, he was the country’s flag bearer for the games.
Yi also was a free agent following a season on the Dallas bench. It may be a year off of the NBA, but Yi could in theory play in the shorter Chinese Basketball Association season if he heals.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6