Aug 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
With a major international basketball tournament like the Olympics, you hope to get through it without a major injury, but you know there likely will be one.
Chinese media says Yi Jianlian has MCL strain which will affect his chances of returning to NBA this season.
Yi twisted his knee in a game against Australia. He was China’s best player, averaging 14.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds, and he had a 30-point game in the Olympics. Yi has always had athletic talent but he seemed more comfortable putting that to use in the Olympic setting. He was China’s star, he was the country’s flag bearer for the games.
Yi also was a free agent following a season on the Dallas bench. It may be a year off of the NBA, but Yi could in theory play in the shorter Chinese Basketball Association season if he heals.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 7
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10