Aug 15, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like I love a good IPA.
• Forget the under-23 age limit stuff, what international basketball governing body FIBA wants to see in the 2016 Olympics (or soon after) is a new 3-on-3 tournament. They are promoting 3-on-3 events world wide, are doing rankings and basically want this to be the beach volleyball of basketball. They are pushing this hard. Seriously. And no, we couldn’t just slap some NBA players together last minute, you’d have to qualify at tournaments around the globe. It all sounds a little crazy, but as somebody getting plenty of FIBA material sent to him, trust me they are pushing for this.
• By the way, NBA Commissioner David Stern was awarded the Olympic Order by the International Olympic Committee. Which I guess is a big deal and all.
• Tim Grover’s gym in Chicago — where Michael Jordan worked out in the day and where Jordan invested $1.5 million later — is headed to foreclosure. The place still draws big name NBA players like Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant to work out there, but that’s not paying the bills.
• Great series of stories looking at the biggest factors in the Warriors upcoming season and what it will take for them to make the playoffs, by Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com. Here are the top three: 1) Andrew Botgut stays healthy; 2) Stephen Curry stays healthy; 3) Mark Jackson really steps up into the role of coach.
• Danny Granger bought a new home in Los Angeles (where he spends his off-seasons) from Kevin Williamson — the guy behind the “Scream” series and the executive producer of “Dawson’s Creek.” That’s so LA.
• Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy has requested a judge reduce his 36-month probation term by three months. After he did jail time. But yes, totally use him as the cornerstone of your argument the NBA is fixed. He’s very credible.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 0
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 22
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36