Rose opens up, calls ACL injury “the closest thing to death”

Aug 15, 2012, 9:17 PM EST

Derrick Rose has kept a fairly low profile this summer, rehabbing and letting the playoffs — where he should have been a star deep into them — or the Olympics (where he would have played and won gold) take center stage. He’s just rehabbed and put out a couple videos.

But he sat down with friend-of-this-blog Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com and really opened up about the injury. And you can tell it’s still vivid in his memory.

“I remember everything. I remember jumping in the air and coming back down, and just that popping sound. I felt it actually tear when I laid all the way out and it just let go.

“I didn’t have that that much pain after that. In the beginning I did, but I didn’t want to yell or anything. When that happened, all I could think about was people just talking. You could hear the whole arena, people just whispering all around — one of the things, like ‘Not again. Come on, man. First game back. We had the win’ — and I was just hoping [it was] nothing serious. Then, we got to the hospital, got in the MRI machine, the whole time praying.

“Dr. [Brian] Cole, the Bulls doctor [who also performed the subsequent surgery], came up to me and told me it was torn. I couldn’t believe it. That’s the closest thing to death, the closest to death I’ve got to right there, where it just seemed like the wind and everything was taken out [of me].”

He said there have been silver linings — he has slowed down, is spending time with family.

“It’s been damn good, being around my family, knowing that they’re the ones that’s taking the load off me now, doing everything, asking if I need something, even just getting up with me to go to therapy. My friends, what they’ve been doing, just showing that they appreciate me and care, that’s what keeps me going,” Rose said.

He also says he knows he’s going to be back, he’s going to come back stronger. He is working hard to strengthen his lower body.

1. trybe29dr - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Closest to death? Settle down drama queen

• pudgalvin - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Go away.

• cordae - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Far away

• skids003 - Aug 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

This dummy should join the military and fight for his country. Then he might see what close to death really means.

• bigmack305 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM

How quickly we forget, Derrick. How about that time you ordered Coke and they told you “I’m sorry, we only have Pepsi. Is that OK?” NOOOOOO! OH, THE HUMANITY!

2. lakerluver - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hope he comes back better than ever. Outside of the LAKERS, he’s my favorite NBA player.

3. misterdreamer119 - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

He should develop his jumper. Bulls are done.

4. findthetruth90 - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Great player but small guards just don’t make it now a days. Bulls need much more pieces then they do now to even compete with the heat. Jumper is going to be nasty tho, may change his style and dare I say it make him become a better point guard.

• cordae - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Rose is 6’3 and an elite guard. lets look at the other elite “small” guards

Rajon Rondo 6’1
      Tony Parker 6’2
      Steve Nash 6’3
      Deron Williams 6’3
      and…Chris Paul stands at a whopping….wait for it…6’0

Please think, hard, before you comment..

5. glink123 - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

tell ya what, trybe… when you find the woman you love, the one you decide you want to spend the rest of your life with, and someone cuts her throat in front of you, taking the only thing you care about away from you, come back and tell us how you feel. tell us if you feel close to death then.

• cordae - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Funny that you say that. I totally agree. If Jordan or Kobe had said the same thing after a potential career ending injury, the world would wave it off as them being die-hard competitors or something. Not saying he’s on those guys levels, but he loves the game just as much.

• eugenesaxe - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Yeah, because having your wife murdered is EXACTLY the same as blowing out a knee.
      I was going to say Rose needs a reality check, but reading these posts, he sure as Hell isn’t alone.

• bigmack305 - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Guy, are you serious? You have been watching too many vigilante movies. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, get a job, somthing, but get out of the house(basement) and off the computer. He’s a young, famous, mutli-millionaire who had an injury and will have to take some time off. Unfortunate? absolutely. Tragic and equivalent to having your soulmate murdered before you? Hardly. God forbid something should happen to any of his loved ones, he’d be the first to say “i would give up all of this to have them back”. If it’s equivalent for you I feel bad for your significant other.

6. pop562 - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The NBA needs Rose back…he’s one of the most humble competitive players in the game. He’s exciting to watch and he will give the bulls a chance to contend again in the east. Hope you get well soon. Sincerely, a Lakers fan.

7. chi01town - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Rose take your time an get well the fans in CHICAGO LOVES YOU. when you get back the title will be there for you to bring home

• jt1138 - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Will Nessie and Sasquatch be there as well?

8. bleedburgandyandgold - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Totally agree with you glink123 I wouldn’t have put it in such harsh terms lol but agree Roses knees are his lively hood and I bet it felt like he died a little inside after the MRI an the bad news when u love something that much and it’s ripped from you that’s common way to feel after but it’s how you bounce back from adversity that defined you!

• pudgalvin - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Right. And close to death is an exageration, but if in one second, you’re livelihood, career and passion is suddenly put into extreme doubt, that’s a hell of a blow. Derricks got his money, but like all the other great NBA players, and anyone that loves their profession, money is not the most important thing. Guys like Kobe and Durant and Jordan would have played for minimum wage. It just so happens that they work in an extremely lucrative profession. Good for them. They make a lot of people rich and there’s nothing wrong with them getting rich too. As many players have said, the money is more about respect than anything else.

So yeah, its a little over dramatic, but that’s a pretty serious thing that happened to him.

9. outspokendior - Aug 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Rose is going to come bk strong

10. chicitybulls - Aug 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I love seeing all of these negative comments. Rose likes hearing/seeing them too as he said in the video. Even more fuel to the fire.

• jt1138 - Aug 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Oh please, that was a terrible video. Wah Wah poor me. Like he’s the only athlete to ever tear his ACL. He’s being a cry baby just like he was after he got destroyed in the ECF.

11. lilalman14 - Aug 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Yea, just saying for those who dont understand, of course a torn ACL is no where near close to death literally. But, to dumb it down for you what Rose was saying is basketball is his life, and a torn ACL can posibbly end your career. So figuratively if that injury would’ve permanantly sidelined him it would have felt like he was dead. Oh, and by the way I’m pretty sure he has lost someone very close to him too.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches