Aug 15, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
The question has never been the physical talent of JaVale McGee. Back in 2010 he got an extended tryout with Team USA before the World Championships and in workouts with the NBA’s best those guys quietly whispered about McGee’s physical gifts.
But he didn’t make that team. And despite all the potential the Wizards wanted him out of town and shipped him to Denver. He has never lived up to all those gifts.
McGee is trying to tap into that potential by working out with Hall-of-Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon this summer in Houston. And Olajuwon is singing his praises to MyFoxHouston.com.
“No question, I see him as another star,” Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. “That guy should dominate the league.
“He has tremendous talent. I give him all these moves and he can finish and he’s already skilled. So now just show him how to use that skill to (get) to the next level.”
There lies the rub. Will McGee — famous for his blooper-reel errors — be able to put these lessons to good use? He has a great coach in George Karl who will put him in good situations to succeed. It feels like this could be a breakout year for McGee. But it has before, too.
It all comes down to McGee and what’s between his ears. The Nuggets have made their bet on him with a new contract, now we’ll see if there is a payoff.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28