Aug 15, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
The question has never been the physical talent of JaVale McGee. Back in 2010 he got an extended tryout with Team USA before the World Championships and in workouts with the NBA’s best those guys quietly whispered about McGee’s physical gifts.
But he didn’t make that team. And despite all the potential the Wizards wanted him out of town and shipped him to Denver. He has never lived up to all those gifts.
McGee is trying to tap into that potential by working out with Hall-of-Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon this summer in Houston. And Olajuwon is singing his praises to MyFoxHouston.com.
“No question, I see him as another star,” Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. “That guy should dominate the league.
“He has tremendous talent. I give him all these moves and he can finish and he’s already skilled. So now just show him how to use that skill to (get) to the next level.”
There lies the rub. Will McGee — famous for his blooper-reel errors — be able to put these lessons to good use? He has a great coach in George Karl who will put him in good situations to succeed. It feels like this could be a breakout year for McGee. But it has before, too.
It all comes down to McGee and what’s between his ears. The Nuggets have made their bet on him with a new contract, now we’ll see if there is a payoff.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48