Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
I was so hopeful we were done with this debate. So very hopeful. This topic should be as dead as William McKinley. Please just make it stop.
But the Freddy Krueger of debates — it will not die — is back because once again Michael Jordan is talking about how the 2012 Olympic gold medal basketball team from the USA would fare against the Dream Team.
And now that debate can carry over to the NBA2K13 game, which will have Team USA squads for the first time. The Dream Team is represented, although without Scottie Pippen (he did not agree to terms with the game maker). No, they did not add Isiah Thomas in his place.
Anyway, here is the latest in the debate, via Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
“I know Kobe said some things early on and I responded to those — where the ’92 Dream Team, I felt, was a more well-rounded basketball team,” Jordan said. “He felt we were a little old, but we only had two players that were over 30 at the time — that was Magic [Johnson] and Larry [Bird]. Everybody else was 29 or below [Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing and John Stockton actually turned 30 shortly before or during the Olympics], so I think that the team itself would have been well-rounded defensively, offensively, inside, outside….
“In [terms] of how the game is played from an offensive standpoint and a defense standpoint — from a team standpoint — I feel like we were much more solid defensively. We could definitely guard the perimeter and force them to penetrate to shot-blockers, which I felt like would’ve made a big difference with this team in 2012. They only had one shot-blocker. Granted, I know LeBron [James] and some of those guys can still block shots. It’s not the same defense and it’s not the same intensity.”
Debate it amongst yourselves in the comments. You know were I stand (the Dream Team is better but the current side would have about a 20% chance in one game playoff). Personally, I’m done with the debate. We all should be. Except when we pick up the X-Box controller.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8