Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
I was so hopeful we were done with this debate. So very hopeful. This topic should be as dead as William McKinley. Please just make it stop.
But the Freddy Krueger of debates — it will not die — is back because once again Michael Jordan is talking about how the 2012 Olympic gold medal basketball team from the USA would fare against the Dream Team.
And now that debate can carry over to the NBA2K13 game, which will have Team USA squads for the first time. The Dream Team is represented, although without Scottie Pippen (he did not agree to terms with the game maker). No, they did not add Isiah Thomas in his place.
Anyway, here is the latest in the debate, via Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
“I know Kobe said some things early on and I responded to those — where the ’92 Dream Team, I felt, was a more well-rounded basketball team,” Jordan said. “He felt we were a little old, but we only had two players that were over 30 at the time — that was Magic [Johnson] and Larry [Bird]. Everybody else was 29 or below [Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing and John Stockton actually turned 30 shortly before or during the Olympics], so I think that the team itself would have been well-rounded defensively, offensively, inside, outside….
“In [terms] of how the game is played from an offensive standpoint and a defense standpoint — from a team standpoint — I feel like we were much more solid defensively. We could definitely guard the perimeter and force them to penetrate to shot-blockers, which I felt like would’ve made a big difference with this team in 2012. They only had one shot-blocker. Granted, I know LeBron [James] and some of those guys can still block shots. It’s not the same defense and it’s not the same intensity.”
Debate it amongst yourselves in the comments. You know were I stand (the Dream Team is better but the current side would have about a 20% chance in one game playoff). Personally, I’m done with the debate. We all should be. Except when we pick up the X-Box controller.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2