Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
I was so hopeful we were done with this debate. So very hopeful. This topic should be as dead as William McKinley. Please just make it stop.
But the Freddy Krueger of debates — it will not die — is back because once again Michael Jordan is talking about how the 2012 Olympic gold medal basketball team from the USA would fare against the Dream Team.
And now that debate can carry over to the NBA2K13 game, which will have Team USA squads for the first time. The Dream Team is represented, although without Scottie Pippen (he did not agree to terms with the game maker). No, they did not add Isiah Thomas in his place.
Anyway, here is the latest in the debate, via Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
“I know Kobe said some things early on and I responded to those — where the ’92 Dream Team, I felt, was a more well-rounded basketball team,” Jordan said. “He felt we were a little old, but we only had two players that were over 30 at the time — that was Magic [Johnson] and Larry [Bird]. Everybody else was 29 or below [Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing and John Stockton actually turned 30 shortly before or during the Olympics], so I think that the team itself would have been well-rounded defensively, offensively, inside, outside….
“In [terms] of how the game is played from an offensive standpoint and a defense standpoint — from a team standpoint — I feel like we were much more solid defensively. We could definitely guard the perimeter and force them to penetrate to shot-blockers, which I felt like would’ve made a big difference with this team in 2012. They only had one shot-blocker. Granted, I know LeBron [James] and some of those guys can still block shots. It’s not the same defense and it’s not the same intensity.”
Debate it amongst yourselves in the comments. You know were I stand (the Dream Team is better but the current side would have about a 20% chance in one game playoff). Personally, I’m done with the debate. We all should be. Except when we pick up the X-Box controller.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36