Aug 15, 2012, 8:38 AM EDT
Grizzlies fans were rightfully hopeful when news got out that long-time team owner Michael Heisley planned to sell the team to a young billionaire out of the Silicon Valley, Robert Pera. Not that they really knew anything about Pera — he is 34 and filthy rich selling high tech electronic equipment to the developing world, mostly — but he had to be better than Heisley. Right?
We may never find out. The sale of the Grizzlies to Pera seems to have some challenges. To put it kindly.
As the NBA goes through its background checks on Pera, his company, Ubiquiti Networks Inc., is seeing a lot of controversies. And that could stall or kill the sale, suggests the San Jose Business Journal (via Ball Don’t Lie and Eye on Basketball).
The NBA is going through an extensive vetting process that will look into everything from Pera’s business associates, to his family, to his financial situation. That will include Ubiquiti’s recent controversies, such as an acknowledgement that the company’s products were illegally sold into Iran….
NBA officials will “look into (the Iran issue), they’ll question it,” said SportsCorp. President Marc Ganis, who advises on team deals. “They don’t want a front-page New York Times story six months from now about how an ‘NBA owner sold products to terrorist organizations,’ by way of example. They’re going to want to understand what (the Iran case is) before they sign off on it.”
Pera has a 63 percent stake in Ubiquiti, according to regulatory filings. That stock was worth $2 billion as of May but has dropped to $800 million.
I would love to be worth only $800 million.
But for buying an NBA team, that is on the low end. Especially when the sale price is a reported $350 million.
Pera has said he is looking for some local investors to be part of the franchise, so he wouldn’t have to come up with all the cash himself. And he still has the money to buy the team. But all this stuff is enough to get the rather conservative (financially) NBA to pause.
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 2
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 58
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights