Aug 15, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
There have been plenty of leaks from people around Greg Oden talking about how he wants to get healthy and get back in the game. The kind of leaks that always sound like an agent or people around him looking for a paycheck.
Oden himself sounds far more reasonable.
Oden spoke about his attempt at a comeback from a third microfracture surgery (not to mention other surgeries) with the Tribune-Star in Indiana and struck a reasonable tone to my ears (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie).
“I would love to play [in 2012-13], but I’m not going to rush anything,” he said Thursday. “I need to take a year off. What I told Mike (Conley, his agent) was ‘Look, I want to get back with a team. I want to play. If there’s a chance that later on in the [NBA] year, if I feel good or if I’m healthy enough to play, I would love to play this year.’ That’s the conversation we had. I think some people kinda blew that up and took his words and kinda changed them around. I know I need to get healthy first before I do anything…
“If it happens, it happens,” he said. “I’ve got to move on with my life. I know I want to play basketball. If I physically can’t play basketball, then I’ve got to move on … I’ve still got to wake up tomorrow. I’ve still got to live. One day, I’m going to want a family and I’ve got to provide for them. So if basketball doesn’t work out, you gotta keep it moving.”
Oden then goes on to say he’d love to be a middle school or high school gym teacher. Seriously.
I don’t know that Oden will ever step foot on an NBA court again. Most likely not, although I can’t blame him for not giving up on that dream. He shouldn’t. But it sounds like his head is in the right place no matter what happens. All you can do is wish the best for him, whatever life brings next.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 0
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10