Aug 15, 2012, 7:57 AM EST
NBA players in their 30s who tear both their ACL and MCL don’t often make a comeback. Those that do tend to have been the fittest of players, ones known for committing to and sticking with their rehab efforts.
So, there are a couple strikes against Baron Davis coming back to the NBA.
But he wants to be back next season. He keeps saying it. I keep saying I want a back massage from Kate Hudson.
Still, Davis is working to get back on an NBA court. And he said he wanted to do it by next season again, this time to Hoopsworld at his 3rd Annual Kickball Game in Los Angeles to benefit the Rising Stars of America.
“I’m feeling good, getting there,” Davis said on Sunday. “A lot of rehab. A lot of rehab. My summer is just consisting of rehabbing, focusing in on this foundation and these kids and doing as much good as I possibly can with my time off.”
A source close to Davis said he intends to return to the league this season.
I wish Davis the best. I hope he makes it back. But I wouldn’t bet on it. And I wouldn’t bet for this season for sure — it is a full one-year recovery for most players from that injury. Which means unless a team wants to add him for the playoffs next season — something unlikely at best — the 2013-14 season seems more likely if it is going to happen.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 26
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (66)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (44)