Baron Davis keeps saying he wants to be back for next season

Aug 15, 2012, 7:57 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks - Game Three Getty Images

NBA players in their 30s who tear both their ACL and MCL don’t often make a comeback. Those that do tend to have been the fittest of players, ones known for committing to and sticking with their rehab efforts.

So, there are a couple strikes against Baron Davis coming back to the NBA.

But he wants to be back next season. He keeps saying it. I keep saying I want a back massage from Kate Hudson.

Still, Davis is working to get back on an NBA court. And he said he wanted to do it by next season again, this time to Hoopsworld at his 3rd Annual Kickball Game in Los Angeles to benefit the Rising Stars of America.

“I’m feeling good, getting there,” Davis said on Sunday. “A lot of rehab. A lot of rehab. My summer is just consisting of rehabbing, focusing in on this foundation and these kids and doing as much good as I possibly can with my time off.”

A source close to Davis said he intends to return to the league this season.

I wish Davis the best. I hope he makes it back. But I wouldn’t bet on it. And I wouldn’t bet for this season for sure — it is a full one-year recovery for most players from that injury. Which means unless a team wants to add him for the playoffs next season — something unlikely at best — the 2013-14 season seems more likely if it is going to happen.

1. blakspartan - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Baron you had a good career, it’s time to let it go,

2. muir6 - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

If he wants to play and does the rehab good luck to him, kinda of ironic that when he was in the peak of his career he talked about retiring early to start his post career of movie making

3. sun602 - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

How many times will you use the kate hudson/kate upton/enter other attractive female here joke?

4. loungefly74 - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

only hope is to “ride the bench” for some team…

5. jeffw - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It’s sad when players look back and realize that they just pissed away their talent and career. Sure he made a lot of money, but he was an arrogant malcontent who never made a team better. Goodbye. Good riddance.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches