Aug 14, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Derrick Rose is not the first great, explosive guard to have his ACL go in an ugly fashion.
Tim Hardaway — another guard with a legendary crossover that dazzled fans — missed the 1993-94 with the same injury (during the Run TMC era in Golden State). And it took a bit after his return for his game to fully return, but he had two All-Star seasons and was fourth in the MVP voting one year and sixth another after his injury.
Hardaway says this injury could end up benefiting Rose if the young guard takes advantage of the down time that extends into next season (whispers out of Chicago are saying a March return and they are trying not to rush him back).
‘‘He can only do three things,’’ said former NBA point guard Tim Hardaway, who missed the 1993-94 season after suffering a similar injury. ‘‘He can dribble — not run and dribble, just dribble walking up and down the court; he can shoot a bunch of free throws; and he can shoot a bunch of set shots like he’s playing H-O-R-S-E every day, all day.
‘‘But that’s going to make him better. If you shoot 1,000 jump shots a day, 1,000 free throws a day, you’re going to get better. That made my shot better. It really made my jump shot and free-throw percentage better.’’
Rose shot just 31.2 percent from three last season, but his shooting percentage from 10 feet out to the arc dropped to 37 percent, which is not going to get it done. People will go under the pick every time until Rose can make them pay with a jumper.
Hardaway’s eFG% (which includes a boost for made threes) improved .20 points the season after his return from the injury, although it never really jumped much after that. But his game also shifted a little, he still drove but he didn’t hesitate to shoot jumpers. And his all around game matured by the time he was in Miami to something pretty impressive.
Rose could be better than Hardaway, and maybe he can come back from this injury with a more rounded game than he had before. And that will be good for the Bulls. Well, it will be good for the Bulls once they rebuild the team in 2014 anyway.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37