Aug 14, 2012, 1:59 AM EDT
Chris Andersen is still a free agent after the Denver Nuggets used their amnesty clause on him last month. And his agent is doing his job talking to teams and spinning things positively.
Here is the latest, via Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com on twitter.
Chris Andersen has received some offers from NBA teams. He does have a favorite team he wants to play for, but his reps won’t say just yet.
Chris Andersen’s offers have been from the $1.2 to $5 million range per season.
My first thought is that if Andersen and his agent had a deal they liked, you’d be reading a team about how he is signed, not that he has options.
My second thought is he was making $4.6 million last season, Denver amnestied him and another team would jump in and $5 million? Right. Don’t think that’s an agent trying to spook other teams.
He’s likely getting a lot of minimum offers, and at that price he’s a steal. Andersen brings defense and energy to the table as a big man and there is value in that. Teams can picture him coming off the bench, blocking some shots into the third row, getting a few points and generally giving them solid minutes. That’s what he did for Denver last season — 15 minutes, 5 points, 1.4 blocks per game. And he does it efficiently, he had a PER of 18.9.
There is the question of what will happen with a police investigation — his home was searched in an “internet crimes against children” probe, one where his attorney claimed it was part of an extortion plot. However, that investigation came to light in May, if the police had hard evidence this would be beyond an ongoing investigation. That said, nobody is talking so it still looms.
Bottom line, Andersen is going to wait a while and see if a better deal comes through, and when it doesn’t he’ll take the one in front of him he likes best. So everyone waits .
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4