Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 AM EST
Ben Wallace thinks he’s got one more year in him.
The Pistons big man has said he would come back and play for the Detroit or retire and now he wants to come back — except the Detroit roster is full, reports the Detroit News.
That really leaves Wallace — the former Defensive Player of the Year — with two options: Wait for the Pistons to open a roster spot up with a trade or play somewhere else.
A trade is possible, but likely not until training camp at the earliest and more likely into the season. The Pistons have been rumored to be willing to move Austin Daye or Charlie Villanueva, but Villanueva’s contract makes his move unlikely (at least until next year when he is an expiring contract). Daye has not impressed the past couple years (he shot 32 percent overall and 21 percent from three last season), but entering the final year of his contract a team may be willing to roll the dice. However, there are no talks to speak of going on.
And can you picture Wallace on another team at this point?
I get the feeling at this point the Pistons are moving on, but Wallace’s return is something that Pistons fans may want to watch.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13