Aug 14, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Going to the NBA can be a real adjustment for most players — in high school and college they were the stars of their team, the big men on campus, their ego gets fed. Then they enter the NBA and are buried on a bench, rarely see the court and have their deficiencies come to define them.
How you get through it is keep working, improve the weaknesses and take advantage of opportunities. Which is exactly what Avery Bradley did with the Celtics — his rookie year he played in less than half the team’s games and shot just 34.3 percent. By the end of is second season Ray Allen was coming off the bench behind him.
But Bradley admitted you still need encouragement to get through those times, and he told WEEI that Kevin Garnett was a guy who helped him a lot.
One day, KG saw me on the bus,” he said. “I had my hoodie on. I was a little down. I wasn’t playing. He could tell I wasn’t the same Avery, always smiling but shy, and he told me, ‘You know what? I was sitting back in my room last night watching tapes of you in high school. If you continue to work how hard you work every day and never give up, the way you played in high school, you’ll play in the NBA.’…
And after Bradley had started to play key minutes last season…
“Then, one day I’m on the bus after a game and all KG said was, ‘I told you,’” added Bradley. “At first I had no clue what he was talking about. He always sits in the back of the bus and tells his stories, and he’s like, ‘I told you that. If you continue to work … hard work always pays off.’ Coming from KG, that made me feel good and made me want to keep working, so I can be like him.”
That’s KG the leader at his best.
Not that Bradley is ever going to be like him.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14