Aug 14, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Going to the NBA can be a real adjustment for most players — in high school and college they were the stars of their team, the big men on campus, their ego gets fed. Then they enter the NBA and are buried on a bench, rarely see the court and have their deficiencies come to define them.
How you get through it is keep working, improve the weaknesses and take advantage of opportunities. Which is exactly what Avery Bradley did with the Celtics — his rookie year he played in less than half the team’s games and shot just 34.3 percent. By the end of is second season Ray Allen was coming off the bench behind him.
But Bradley admitted you still need encouragement to get through those times, and he told WEEI that Kevin Garnett was a guy who helped him a lot.
One day, KG saw me on the bus,” he said. “I had my hoodie on. I was a little down. I wasn’t playing. He could tell I wasn’t the same Avery, always smiling but shy, and he told me, ‘You know what? I was sitting back in my room last night watching tapes of you in high school. If you continue to work how hard you work every day and never give up, the way you played in high school, you’ll play in the NBA.’…
And after Bradley had started to play key minutes last season…
“Then, one day I’m on the bus after a game and all KG said was, ‘I told you,’” added Bradley. “At first I had no clue what he was talking about. He always sits in the back of the bus and tells his stories, and he’s like, ‘I told you that. If you continue to work … hard work always pays off.’ Coming from KG, that made me feel good and made me want to keep working, so I can be like him.”
That’s KG the leader at his best.
Not that Bradley is ever going to be like him.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20