Aug 13, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The Warriors are betting big on Stephen Curry. It was only a matter of time before they had to choose between Curry and Monta Ellis, they chose Curry. But they did so with the knowledge that Curry was still having ankle issues, which have plagued him his entire career. But he and Andrew Bogut make up the new core for the Warriors, so they’re very invested in him finally getting healthy. Which is why the next week will be big.
Curry had surgery late in the year (along with half the roster) and has been playing and working out the last few months. But he hasn’t done anything intensive or on back to back days. Most notably though, this week marks his first workout with the Warriors with “no restrictions.” From CSN Bay Area:
Curry will arrive in the Bay Area on Tuesday night and then work out for four consecutive days at the team’s downtown practice facility.
Warriors general manager Bob Myers indicated that Curry has been working out much of the summer but that this stretch will mark a stepping up of Curry’s rehab and basketball-related work.
“I don’t think he’ll have any restrictions,” said Myers, who was attending a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil the Warriors’ technology center at College Track on Monday. “He’s being cautious because he has time to be. But as far as full-go, he’s there right now. He’s not going to push it unnecessarily, though. He’s going to be cautious. But as far as restrictions, they’ve all been lifted.”
The key for Curry right now isn’t even to show a full recovery or quickness. It’s just to be able to go through the work. Endurance has to be the first big key for the Warriors.
Curry’s going to have more freedom than every this year with Ellis gone. He’s got shooters and finishers with Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson. He’s got bigs to run pick and roll with with David Lee and Andrew Bogut. He’ll likely have a slower pace team that wont’ have to put so much wear and tear on his body. But he still has to show he can do it. This is that first step.
Cross your fingers.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18