Aug 13, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
Ryan Anderson would have been a good fit in the Utah Jazz’s offense — they needed someone who could knock down the three and stretch the floor, and that is what Anderson does best.
They wanted him. But the price was too steep — Paul Millsap.
That according to a new report from Brian Smith at the Salt Lake Tribune.
To acquire Anderson, Utah likely would have been forced to give up power forward Paul Millsap. While the Jazz were interested in Anderson and considered making the deal, Utah ultimately backed off. Anderson was later sent to New Orleans, and the Jazz addressed their perimeter needs by signing unrestricted free agent guard Randy Foye on July 23. Utah also traded for small forward Marvin Williams during early July.
The problem is that Millsap becomes a free agent after next season and the Jazz could lose him for nothing if he leaves. He’s not going to sign an extension — it’s in his financial interest not to — and Millsap may stay, but that brings risk for the Jazz.
Losing Millsap would mean the starting four spot goes to Derrick Favors. It might anyway, they will split time and battle for the starting spot. Anderson scored 16.1 points per game last season, shooting 39 percent from three.
As it turned out, Anderson went to the New Orleans Hornets in a deal for Gustavo Ayon to Orlando. The Jazz signed journeyman Randy Foye, who shot 38.6 percent from three for the Clippers last season.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 46
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23