Lakers round out roster, sign Devin Ebanks to deal

Aug 13, 2012, 2:51 PM EST

Devin Ebanks Derek Fisher Getty Images

Lakers fans, we know who your human victory cigar is going to be.

Devin Ebanks will sign his qualifying offer on Monday, rounding out the Lakers roster reports the Los Angeles Times. Ebanks spent last season with the Lakers and is coming back on a one-year deal that will make him an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Lakers fans tend to be higher on him than he deserves, but Ebanks has potential as a player. He just was not impressive in the dozen games he started for the Lakers last season (most when Kobe Bryant or Metta World Peace were out), or when he came off the bench in mop-up duty. He averaged 4 points a game last year when he got in, has shot 41.4 percent in two NBA seasons and is not much of a three-point shooter.

But he provides some depth at the two and three that the Lakers could use during a long season where they have a number of older players.

1. unxpexted1 - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I really hope Ebanks sees more time. He could be the second comiong of trevar ariza and gives the Lakers some perimeter athleticism that is sorely needed on this squad. he’s tall, good length, average jump shooter, great defender and could be someone that can get out on the break with nash.

2. obijuan13 - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I always get “hIgher” on some Ebanks!!!!

3. cowboyscanada - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Get your popcorn ready!!!

4. lakerluver - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don’t care what the odds are in Vegas, the LAKERS are hanging Banner No.17 next season!!

5. lakerluver - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

A team of Jamison, Meeks, Blake, Ebanks and Hill would make the playoffs!!………ok, I’m just kidding!! But as a 2nd unit that’s not a bad bench!! Mitch is a phukin genius!!!!

6. paulhargis53 - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Round the clock comments from Lakersucker. Dude, I said it before, but it bears repeating.

You are in dire need of getting laid. No one needs it more. Bein on this website 24/7 is unhealthy.

Bell, I’m sure other posters will chip in with me to find a “date” for you…..

• unxpexted1 - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

yet your comments always come right after his……..

7. lakerluver - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM

You’re too dumb to realize that in order for you to know I’m on here means YOU’RE on here just as much, you freakin Mensa member!! Why are you so concerned with what I do anyway? Obviously, you’re the one without a worthwhile life. If you had one you wouldn’t be concerned with mine!! I’m a sports fan and a LAKERS fanatic!! I downloaded this app to debate sports with other “knowledgable” sports fans. That kinda eliminates you, ph53. You’re not witty or funny, dude. You’re actually kinda pathetic. You spend more time commenting on me or the LAKERS then you do on your own favorite team!! Loser!!

• dls612 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Lol! This is a first I actually agree with the lakerluver! Go Heat!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

ZING!!

On the freakin’ money, LL!!!

8. lakerluver - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

But it’s good to see you came back off the ledge after the BIG TRADE went down!! I was kinda worried about you. I know how obsessed you are with my LAKERS! Hehehe!!!

9. lakerluver - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Right, I reply to his comment. What’s your point? Exactly, you don’t have one.

10. bigdeuceuno - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I have to say I’m not a big ebanks fan but he is a laker so I’ll roll with it the only thing good is that he’s young n has an upside let’s hope he trys to reach his true potential whatever that is with his 5mins or so a game

11. flyrocket31 - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

i am still bitter over the Dwight Howard trade. Their salary is ridiculous. and orlando passed on the rockets offer of everything they were looking for and more and recieved much less and basically gave away dwight howard. really?

12. mrphootball - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

When i read ph53 comments all i could think was pot……..kettle. Ph53 you are just a straight up laker hater. Must be a dirty river loving Spurs fan.

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

You know lakersucker, I’ve already told you what I was doing to you.
    You just can’t help yourself from responding though. It’s amusing to see you write a novel back. Or write 3 posts in a row.

You think you’re so smart, but you can’t see that I’ve been playing you all along.
    I don’t hate anything. I like stirring the pot and getting people riled up.

I pick people like you because you’re so over the top. So non objective, that you can’t accept a differing viewpoint from yours.

I’ll continue to post, you’ll continue to respond because you have a weak mind and in some stupid way, you think you’re getting the better of me. In reality, I’m just helping you look dumb. You don’t need much help though.

• loungefly74 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM

that was your grand plan, paulhargis53? really? holy sh*t…

soooo…you come to these blog sites to rile up Laker fans? that’s all? man…you have been playing yourself. look in the mirror man…you think your cool sh*t? you’re sad, dude. damn. im not saying this as a Laker fan…but just as a person.

it makes sense. your comments get record numbers of thumbs down each time. and don’t say, “ahhh it all Laker fans hating…blah, blah”…nah dude, its because its garbage…you add very little to the site. you’re “batha fodder”…a joke…is that what you wanted? mission accomplished.

what you just said above sounds like something…i don’t know…well, a kid would say.

14. polarbearsquares - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

You guys speak a lot on Laker fans. I don’t really see you doing this for other fanbases but I could be wrong.

I don’t overestimate him. He’s a nice, solid rotation player. Played ok when Metta was suspended.

My question is who is the Lakers backup SF? Clark? He’s 6’10. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it but I’m just saying. We have six PGs. Lots of bigs. But I only see 2, maybe 3 SF if you include Clark.

Also, the human victory cigars were Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock. At least Ebanks got a little time but Goudelock and Morris got little to none. Whenever you saw them, we were up 20 with 5 secs left.

Anyways, I criticize you guys a lot but thought you did a nice job on this.

15. money2long - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

lakers needed a backup ball stopper/wing defender. will ebanks evolve into a bruce bowen/sefolosha ?

16. congocash - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The squad is all set… The only question mark is mike brown… His job is simple…. Coach up the role players and stay out of the goddam way of the kobe, nash, howard, gasol, artest freight train….

17. paulhargis53 - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

it wasn’t a “grand plan”. It was a time Easter at work.
    You’re reaction to this is just priceless! You can hardly type. You really think I care what a bunch of nameless, faceless people think of me?
    You don’t think I knew a majority of the stuff I typed was garbage?
    C’Mon man! I role played an over the top anti Lakers fan. What’s really the sad part is guys like you and lakersucker aren’t roleplaying, you are actual over the top know nothing fanatics.
    I helped you look foolish, made my day go faster and got some laughs out of it. Yeah, mission accomplished.
    I sound line a kid?,Good! I don’t ever wanna grow up.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches