Aug 13, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
Lakers owner since 1979 Jerry Buss has been in poor health at points in the last year and the Lakers confirmed the 78-year-old had surgery last week.
What kind of surgery? They won’t say. From the Los Angeles Times.
“He did have surgery and it went fine,” Lakers spokesman John Black said. “He’s not home yet, but he’s expected to make a full recovery….”
Buss’ son, Jim, the Lakers’ executive vice president of player personnel, on Friday told Times columnist T.J. Simers that his father got “out of surgery 14 hours ago” when the owner called Friday morning wanting details about the Lakers’ acquisition of Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.
“I was with him [Thursday] night and he was basically incoherent and he was going to be like that for two or three days,” Buss told Simers.
Remember Jerry Buss was hospitalized last month for dehydration.
He has turned the running of the Lakers over to his son Jim Buss, someone not really trusted at first by Lakers fans because they didn’t know him as anything other than as a horse-training partier (they did know Jeanie Buss, who had worked to cultivate a relationship with the fans).
However, the Lakers moves this summer to land Steve Nash and Dwight Howard have given Jim Buss some real credibility with the large Lakers fan base who think it could be like father/like son.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 17
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 37
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 13
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33