Aug 13, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is telling anyone who asks, anyone who will listen really, that he is done with all things Olympics. There is no hesitation in comments to anyone. He’s got a second gold, he’s done.
Which makes sense, he’ll be 37 come the Rio games and may not be playing in the NBA any more.
Some guys we’ll expect to see back, if they are healthy, such as Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and maybe Anthony Davis to name a few. The NBA’s young guard needs to take over for Brazil.
LeBron clearly unsure about Rio in 2016, but Melo sure sounds up for being USA’s first four-time hoops Olympian: “I’m young! I’m only 28″
Well, he feels great at 28 but we will see about 32. If he can go, it would be a good thing for Team USA both because he could be a veteran leader and also because ‘Melo’s game translates very well to international ball. Coach K uses him as a four who can step out and stretch the floor and works hard off the ball. He’s the kind of shooter who makes a great designated scorer on a team where pretty much everyone can score.
But four years is a basketball eternity. As is two years in Spain for the 2014 World Championships (the USA automatically qualifies with the gold medal win). We don’t know who the coach will be in 2016, we don’t know who will be healthy, we don’t know what young players will emerge and deserve a roster spot, we basically don’t know much about Rio (save that it should be a heck of a party).
But it sounds like ‘Melo wants a party invite.
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 1
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24