Aug 13, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is telling anyone who asks, anyone who will listen really, that he is done with all things Olympics. There is no hesitation in comments to anyone. He’s got a second gold, he’s done.
Which makes sense, he’ll be 37 come the Rio games and may not be playing in the NBA any more.
Some guys we’ll expect to see back, if they are healthy, such as Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and maybe Anthony Davis to name a few. The NBA’s young guard needs to take over for Brazil.
LeBron clearly unsure about Rio in 2016, but Melo sure sounds up for being USA’s first four-time hoops Olympian: “I’m young! I’m only 28″
Well, he feels great at 28 but we will see about 32. If he can go, it would be a good thing for Team USA both because he could be a veteran leader and also because ‘Melo’s game translates very well to international ball. Coach K uses him as a four who can step out and stretch the floor and works hard off the ball. He’s the kind of shooter who makes a great designated scorer on a team where pretty much everyone can score.
But four years is a basketball eternity. As is two years in Spain for the 2014 World Championships (the USA automatically qualifies with the gold medal win). We don’t know who the coach will be in 2016, we don’t know who will be healthy, we don’t know what young players will emerge and deserve a roster spot, we basically don’t know much about Rio (save that it should be a heck of a party).
But it sounds like ‘Melo wants a party invite.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3