Aug 13, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is telling anyone who asks, anyone who will listen really, that he is done with all things Olympics. There is no hesitation in comments to anyone. He’s got a second gold, he’s done.
Which makes sense, he’ll be 37 come the Rio games and may not be playing in the NBA any more.
Some guys we’ll expect to see back, if they are healthy, such as Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and maybe Anthony Davis to name a few. The NBA’s young guard needs to take over for Brazil.
LeBron clearly unsure about Rio in 2016, but Melo sure sounds up for being USA’s first four-time hoops Olympian: “I’m young! I’m only 28″
Well, he feels great at 28 but we will see about 32. If he can go, it would be a good thing for Team USA both because he could be a veteran leader and also because ‘Melo’s game translates very well to international ball. Coach K uses him as a four who can step out and stretch the floor and works hard off the ball. He’s the kind of shooter who makes a great designated scorer on a team where pretty much everyone can score.
But four years is a basketball eternity. As is two years in Spain for the 2014 World Championships (the USA automatically qualifies with the gold medal win). We don’t know who the coach will be in 2016, we don’t know who will be healthy, we don’t know what young players will emerge and deserve a roster spot, we basically don’t know much about Rio (save that it should be a heck of a party).
But it sounds like ‘Melo wants a party invite.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40