Aug 12, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
LeBron James just won his second gold medal. He was the best player in the Olympics, he is the best player in the world, and there can be no doubt of his place in history that is still growing. And as usual, most of the time when you get through with all the work that goes in and how exhausting it is, you want to get away from it. We see it with Olympic athletes all over, see it with professionals after their seasons. Things can be dramatically different in four years. But provided that no drastic changes occur to the structure of the Olympcis with regards to the 2016 team in Rio still allowing those over 23 without exceptions, it’s not a sure thing LeBron James will be back.
From USA Today’s Jeff Zillgitt:
LeBron James: “It’s been a great run honestly. I don’t know if I’m going to be part of the 2016 team.”
That’s not a no. Kobe Bryant said no. He’s done. He’s out. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski says he’s out. James is simply a maybe. James will be 31 then. There’s little reason to believe that his skill set will have eroded. But he may need the rest that goes with getting older. There’s so much wear and tear on the body, it’s hard to see him wanting to go through it. But he would be in a position to win a third, and that would put him in a class by himself.
There’s a long way to go, and it’s too soon to tell. But it should be noted that right off the bat, the Chosen One isn’t sold on being chosen for 2016.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 8
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29