Aug 12, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
LeBron James just won his second gold medal. He was the best player in the Olympics, he is the best player in the world, and there can be no doubt of his place in history that is still growing. And as usual, most of the time when you get through with all the work that goes in and how exhausting it is, you want to get away from it. We see it with Olympic athletes all over, see it with professionals after their seasons. Things can be dramatically different in four years. But provided that no drastic changes occur to the structure of the Olympcis with regards to the 2016 team in Rio still allowing those over 23 without exceptions, it’s not a sure thing LeBron James will be back.
From USA Today’s Jeff Zillgitt:
LeBron James: “It’s been a great run honestly. I don’t know if I’m going to be part of the 2016 team.”
That’s not a no. Kobe Bryant said no. He’s done. He’s out. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski says he’s out. James is simply a maybe. James will be 31 then. There’s little reason to believe that his skill set will have eroded. But he may need the rest that goes with getting older. There’s so much wear and tear on the body, it’s hard to see him wanting to go through it. But he would be in a position to win a third, and that would put him in a class by himself.
There’s a long way to go, and it’s too soon to tell. But it should be noted that right off the bat, the Chosen One isn’t sold on being chosen for 2016.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4