Aug 11, 2012, 9:57 AM EST
UPDATE 9:56 am: Relax. Go back to drinking your morning coffee and not worry, Thunder and Team USA fans. The update on Westbrook is that he will go for Team USA Sunday in the gold medal game against Spain. Reports out of the Team USA camp are that he is “fine” and will play Sunday, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
If this were anything even slightly serious he would not play, so it can’t be too bad.
And now we get to see the Westbrook/Rudy Fernandez matchup on the international stage we have all dreamed about.
12:57 am: It’s not something Thunder fans should really worry about.
Well, unless you think Team USA needs a healthy Russell Westbrook to beat Spain (they don’t, no offense Russell).
Westbrook left and went back to the locker room during the USA’s thumping of Argentina and didn’t come back out. Which raised a few eyebrows. Here is an update, via Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo Sports of the NBC Sports Network.
Team USA’s Russell Westbrook suffered a mild ankle sprain, and his availability for the gold medal game on Sunday is uncertain.
Westbrook has been the energy wing off the bench for the USA (the Dwyane Wade role in 2008) and has averaged 9.3 points per game, shooting a respectable 47.7 percent.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 0
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 31
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31