Aug 10, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
Some Lakers fans were convinced David Stern was going to try to kill this blockbuster, balance changing trade. And you could bet if he really could have some owners (*cough*Mark Cuban*cough*) would have pressured him to do so.
But the league had no real standing to block this trade — because it can be justified for basketball reasons and because Stern is not the defacto owner of the team like he was with the Hornets when he called off the Chris Paul trade. This trade was going through. And it has, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network:
The teams finalized the trade on a call with NBA officials Friday afternoon.
So here is how the trade works out.
Nuggets get: Andre Iguodala.
As I said before, I like this trade a lot for the Lakers, Sixers and Denver. They all get better and have guys that fit with what they want to do.
As for Orlando, they said they wanted to get picks, get some good young players and save some cap space. There was no good deal for them to take, there was nothing remotely like equal value, so they looked for a way to rebuild. Most of the guys they just picked up are nice rotation players, and the picks will be lower in the draft order. However, the Magic are going to be bad and it is their own picks the next few years that will be key to them getting to rebuild through the draft.
Could they have saved more money and gotten better picks from Houston? Probably. This is not a great deal. But I don’t think we can call it a bust until we see how those picks pan out. And that’s going to take years.
But it’s done now, either way. Good luck, Magic fans. Lakers fans, you don’t need it.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37